Mounting into crumbling/hard walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We decided to put up a shelf in the lounge. One of those wher eyou cant see the brackets - used them before in our previous (1982 vintage) house with no problems. Four 8mm holes are required per shelf.

I began by marking out where I wanted the holes and started to drill the first 8mm then drilled the first hole...... through the plaster and a few mm into the brisk the drill wanered way off course. Moved a bit and tried again, same happened

CHnaged drill bit and trid again, all was good

Next hole went OK but the third resulted in the brckwork crumbling inside the wall.

Also tried starting with a smaller drill and working my way up in size

On my final attempt I ended up with 3 good looking holes but when I screwed the brackets into the plugs, the wall crunbled and the brackets wouldnt have held the weight of the shelf - let alone anything on it.

So my conclusion is that I have a hard, yet crumbly brick Not good when the next job it mouting a 20kg TV on the wall - 2ft out on a bracket I have some of those expanding metal sleeves studs but am worried they will just expand and break up the brickwork.

Anyone had similar experiences with old houses? I really dont know what the best way would be to securely mount anything to the walls.

I'm an experienced DIY'er having mastered kitchens, bathrooms and plastering in our previous house - I'm stumped here though.

Sponsored Links
could be due to the fact that the 3 holes are too close together,8mm is quite a big drill,can you not use decent rawl plugs and something like a 2 inch 10 screw? these will hold most things up

sadly its not the holes being too close together - they're 3" apart.

When I tried using a smaller drill, even a 6mm drill caused the brick to break up.

Tried non-hammer drilling too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back