Getting a fixing in crumbly plaster

Yes internal wall. Super soft when first drilled in it all crumbled. Drilled in about 2 inches might have been harder further back not sure.

How you test the strength of a fixing? When screw's in, flick it and twiddle with it?

Sponsored Links
When you screw into it last couple of turns should be a struggle, if not it’s insecure.

Has the OP drilled into the plaster and then into the mortar between bricks? Easily for a DIY'er to do that with just the one hole and presume the whole wall is crumbly, when in reality all they did was miss a brick.

Yes plasterboard was first available in 1888, but not for 20 years after this in the UK and was pretty rare generally until the 1950s.

Has the OP drilled into the plaster and then into the mortar between bricks? Easily for a DIY'er to do that with just the one hole and presume the whole wall is crumbly, when in reality all they did was miss a brick.

Yes plasterboard was first available in 1888, but not for 20 years after this in the UK and was pretty rare generally until the 1950s.
Manufactured in Rochester Kent, since 1888.

Sponsored Links
Manufactured in Rochester Kent, since 1888.

Sorry - I'm talking about gypsum plasterboard (made in Cheshire by British Plaster Board, before Saint-Goban took it over). I think you're talking about Sackett Board? No records I've seen suggest anybody was using that new beyond World War I.

I have seen photos of the old Gyproc factory in Rochester from when it closed; huge place with great history!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back