Mounting large picture on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a picture to hang in my hallway ( i have'nt got the dimensions but its around 30" x 45" and its glass so pretty weighty) i believe the walls are plasterboard, I have tapped the wall to find the vertical wood beams (i don't know the correct name for these) unfortunately they are not in the correct position to mount the picture centrally

What options do i have for mounting I really don't want to start cutting into the wall or use a fixing that cant be removed at a later date

I have used these before to mount pictures with no problems however due to the weight of this picture i'm a little concerned about it not being strong enough

p43409_x.jpg

Any help or info greatly appreciated

Pete

Sponsored Links
there is no easy answer to this. i think you've got to try it.

i would not use the fastener in the pic (i'm not an expert though).

plasterboard is good in compression but not good in bending. so you need a fastener that will tighten up firm against the board. i use HD plasterboard plugs from screwfix (check code 59210 on their website). am sure you could get locally ie wickes also. it's good in that when you screw into it the end pulls up against the plasterboard on the inside face.

beware though when you try it. watch and hold onto the picture for a good few mins to be sure. i put a std plug in a plaster wall, hung my best but heavy mirror on it which pulled the plug out of the wall as i was walking away. now can lol but not at the time.

get your steps out and tap the wall higher up. You may find there are noggins above the place you want to put your picture, so you can screw into them and use two hooks with picture wire.

If the studs are only about 500mm apart, can't you put screws into two of them, and put the fixings in the picture frame to match?

If there are no noggins, tap the wall just below ceing level. You will probably find a wall plate that you can screw hooks into, and use picture wire again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back