Move a shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening. Having completed a refit of my bathroom with loads of help from the plumbing section, my missus has decided that the shaving socket is in the way of where she wants to put a mirror. Bless her.

Now the socket is on a studded wall, so I reckon I can move it myself, but before i start butchering up the plasterboard, is there anything i need to know regs wise?

The only potential problem I can foresee is if the existing wiring won't stretch a foot or so to the new position - how would I connect an extra foot of wire bearing in mind the bathroom location.

Or am I deluding myself and should I just get a pro in?

Sponsored Links
Isolate lighting circuit (if thats how the shaver socket has been wired), ensure circuit is dead then remove shaver socket.
Go into loft find the cable that feeds down through stud to shaver socket and pull it up into loft.
If you dont have enough cable length to reach the new location, use a suitably rated JB and extend cable.
You may have to knock some holes in plasterboard to drill holes through any noggins in the stud work.

Connect new cable to old before you pull it up from the loft - makes life alot easier.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back