Move Downstairs Tolilet Upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can you please advise if it's permissible to remove the ground floor toilet entirely in favour of a new one upstairs?

I'd read another web comment where someone thought that if you had a ground floor toilet in place then one had to remain for future access rights.

I've had a search around, including BR 'M' but couldn't find anything - and there appear to be lots of practical posts about doing this!

Thanks
Simon

Sponsored Links
This one depends on your local authority. The work you propose is controllable hence you should make a Building Regulations application to cover the drainage, ventilation and electrics for the new bathroom. Part M has a section that states something about not making a dwelling worse than it was before. By moving the bathroom upstairs a disabled owner or even visitor couldn't use the bathroom. However this is a case by case basis and depends on other factors such as whether you front door is 4 steps up from the road. Is there any room under the stairs to sneak a WC in?

I'm in Essex, if anyone happens to know. I'll check the county council's website...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back