Move outside door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bungalow we are interested in is detached with a shared drive on either side. Looking from the front of the house, the shared drive to the right has a narrow access to the rear for our pedestrian access and the majority of the width for the neighbour. The side entrance is currently here and is approx 1 m above ground level with steps down.

The drive to the left we have the majority of the width with a narrow strip for pedestrian access for the neighbour. I want to block off the current side door, re-jig the internal hall, and move the side entrance to the left side. This makes more sense for daily access and (because the ground level is higher on this side) no steps will be needed thus making access easier. I know there are building regs re width, lintels etc but is planning permission needed for this?

We would also like to put a new window in this side. I think new side windows need planning permission but there is an existing small side window we could just make much longer - like 4x the current width. I have heard "changing" a window is permitted development. Is that true?

Sponsored Links
One of the joys of living in a modern, Western, internet-enabled democracy is that this stuff is publicly available knowledge.

One of the joys of living in a modern, Western, internet-enabled democracy is that this stuff is publicly available knowledge.

As are souffle recipes, but that does not mean that everyone can bake one.

We would also like to put a new window in this side. I think new side windows need planning permission but there is an existing small side window we could just make much longer - like 4x the current width. I have heard "changing" a window is permitted development. Is that true?

On a single-storey house, adding; reducing; enlarging- bricking up a window are all permitted development.

Sponsored Links
No. But everyone can try.

Interesting. Are you proposing that posters upload their browsing history for verification before they get an answer?

Would this scenario work at say the doctors or the garage when we go for some advice? It's all on the net after all.

Yes of course - silly, silly me - how could I possibly have forgotten?

"Interesting. Are you proposing that posters upload their browsing history for verification before they get an answer?"

Not remotely.

**** me guys, you're putting people off asking advice.
Yes we can google things but it's always nice to ask 'expert advice' from (hopefully) real experts not snidey ******s
Are you calling me a *****, a *********, or a ****?

Well, I've never been so insulted.:eek:

Last edited:
@op; let's cut to the chase; unless your p.d. rights have been removed (unlikely if it's an older house, and it would in anycase be flagged up in the house papers) and unless it's a listed building, so far as Planning is concerned, you can do what you want with ground-floor windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back