Movement in concrete lintel causing cracked plaster.

jpq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 1960's built flat which has a concrete lintel running through the entire length of the property. The lintel is mostly concealed under a false ceiling, however in the lounge it sits flush on top of a block wall. The wall and lintel was recently plastered however the lintel seems to move causing the plaster to crack.

It seems pointless just reapplying plaster as the crack will no doubt reappear. Is there a method for stopping this movement? Or a flexible, paintable product to deal with this?

Many thanks

J

Sponsored Links
There is always a certain degree of deflection in any beam, and if the beam is deflecting too much, then surfaces finishes will crack.

Consider plasterboarding it instead, and then any movement should not show through.

But first be sure that there is no structural issue causing the cracking.

What is this beam/lintel supporting - where is it running, along the external wall or internally?

Thanks for your reply.

The beam supports the flat concrete roof. I think I'll follow this up with the freeholder / managing agent. Might as well get something for my money!

If it's all ok then dry lining sounds like a good idea!

Cheers
J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back