Movement joints in plasterboard - finishing off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am building an extension and have a very long wall that has a movement joint in it at about 5m. The joint goes through the brickwork and the blockwork into the building. I am intending on dot and dab plastering and will need to install a control bead along the line of the movement joint. The question I have is how can i finish this off so you don't see a visible vertical line running up the wall? I was thinking of filling the metal control joint V with a flexible sealant that can be finished nice and smooth and then decorating over it. I realise that this may crack in future but i think I would prefer this to a shadow gap running from floor to ceiling. Any suggestions greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
never used one of the movement joints mate, but i'm interested to hear the opinions of the older and wiser on here.

having said that if it's flexible and paintable you want then it's....(altogether now)... CAULK! you're after.

I would do this, although only my common sense is saying this. I would apply dabs to the wall, vertically, 300mm from the movement join and dab a board centerally over the join. This will leave a 600mm ish unsuported section of board which can flex a little if the walls move differently. I await being shot down :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I would do this, although only my common sense is saying this. I would apply dabs to the wall, vertically, 300mm from the movement join and dab a board centerally over the join. This will leave a 600mm ish unsuported section of board which can flex a little if the walls move differently. I await being shot down :LOL:

BANG!!!!! :LOL: :LOL:

1john. It might tear your board in half or pull it off the dabs one side,
much harder to fix if it does.

A board will flex in and out but you can't make it wider. :LOL:

that was my thinking, the two walls expand, closing the gap, bowing the board out slightly, over a 600mm width it shouldn't crack the skim off or it.

true,
but most likely to shrink as the building dries out with time.

hmm, this is a tooth sucker. So whats the answer, or what product yould you use if say it was float and set. Ps sorry to the op for taking over and not really contributing alot.

Render stop bead, its mostly in industrial buildings that you find them, and the spec will say if they are 10 or 20mm space
and they are filled with mastic between the beads.

I have seen and built several domestic extensions with an expansion gap in the brick and block work. But have never seen or bothered putting an expansion gap in the internal covering and never had or seen a problem.

You can do the stop bead thing as mentioned, that will work. Or you can by an integral movement bead, which looks a lot neater but still only does the same job and is more expensive.

They are two beads joined with a flexible strip in the middle. They also come in 90 degrees for internal joints. Boards, internal plaster or external types

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back