Moving a Bathroom Upstairs Allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently planning to move the bathroom in my house to the first floor by splitting a bedroom. At present it is on the ground floor connected to the kitchen. I understand that there are building regs issues regarding not having a downstairs toilet. However the house was built in the 1930's and as such originally had an external toilet. Because the bathroom was added later on am I allowed to remove it? Its such a waste of space and really cuts into my kitchen space. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Crack on.

You will however need to notify B.C. should any new drainage works or electrical circuits demand it.

Strictly, you might not be allowed to remove the wc from the ground floor (though there is nothing to stop you installing a first-floor bathroom, subject to building regs compliance).
The issue is one of disabled access, and is dealt with in Approved Document M.
The gist is that you must not make acces to a wc any worse than it is now. Removing it to the first floor without retaining one on the ground floor would do just that.
Why not put your bathroom upstairs, signed off with B/R approval, and what you do with the downstairs bathroom later on is anybody's guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back