moving a cooker terminal outlet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone advise. I want to move my cooker terminal outlet so that it is behind the new cooker we are having. Is it ok and safe to clip the cable from the existing cooker switch down and around behind the kitchen base units and then connect to the newly positioned cooker terminal outlet box? thanks

Sponsored Links
The cooker isolating switch cannot be further than 2 metres from the appliance is controls (technically arms reach). This, I fear, will limit your plan. You may have to move the switch first.

Also bear in mind all joins in cables must be accessible.

Thanks for reply.... the cooker switch is within the 2mtr distance of the new cooker position but i just wanted to move the terminal connection unit to behind the new cooker position and wondered if it is ok to extend the cable round clipping it behind the base units from the existing cooker switch, the terminal unit is below the cooker switch at the mo....thanks

Sponsored Links
Given the short run from the switch to the outlet, it would be better, and minimal hassle, to replace the cable back to the switch. This saves you having a join in the cable behind a cupboard.

If you cant replace the cable, use the existing outlet as a junction box, and you must cut a hole in the back of the cupboard so it is visible. Use a new outlet plate at the new location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back