New cooker install question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new cooker delivered the other day, but they would not wire it up for us because we did not have a terminal outlet box behind the oven. It seems the cable runs up behind the kitchen units into the control unit switch
and then off to the CU. (can't see behind kitchen unit)
The last oven was install 2 years ago so have the reqs changed in that time.
The old cooker was rated at 10.2Kw and the MCB at the CU was 32amp.
New cooker is rated at 8.7Kw
So do we have to get this terminal outlet box install or not ?
and is that 32amp MCB suitable or not.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the cooker has a cable already attached I can see how they may be unwilling to use your existing cable especially if the existing cable is not the heat resistant type recommended by the manufacturer.

There is no regulation as such that says you need a connection unit but the regulations do say you should follow manufactures recommendations.

A cooker connection unit only costs £2.86 plus £1.60 for backing box so can't really see the problem.

Click on picture for links.

First that 32 amp breaker protects the cable installed not the appliance as such. So you should have at least a 6mm cable on that 32amp breaker.

The new regs came in July 2008 and there were quite a few changes yes. You will need to check you CU to see if your installation was done to the old 16th Edition. The chances are if it was 2 yrs ago it would have been and the cooker might not now be on an RCD. Though it would be safer with a RCD fitted.Though as your just changing an appliance it is not necessary to do so. No matter what arguments you hear, by changing the appliance you are not altering the installation.

The new regulations state that cables buried less than 50mm need to be RCD protected along with a load of other factors. But suffice to say if your cables are buried they will need RCD protecting.

Though the new regs do not recognise a kitchen as a special location, Part P do and if you go ahead and fit the recommended box you will either need to inform LABC of the work or get a sparks in to do the job.

Though the best practice way would be to fit the box, there is no regulation saying you can not fit the cable direct into the cooker. It is only 3 terminals clearly marked L N E. Your wiring most like is Red-L black-N and Yellow/Green Earth. All this does take a certain amout of decent DIY skills as the cable will not be that easy to work with.

You can try to do it. always best to get a friend involved, or call a sparks. I must stress though if you don't feel capable of doing it then don't try. Ovens like showers take a hefty load and need terminating correctly to avoid any heating of the cable.

Thanks for the replies.

The cooker did not come with any cable.
The main question I am asking is.
Must I install a terminal outlet box when I am only changing the appliance over to a new one ?
And what is the purpose of said box ? I can understand having it if your cooker comes with it's own cable, but if it doesn't you need to buy extra cable.
The new cooker says it should be connected to an omnipolar switch with
HO5RR-F cable.

Sponsored Links
No you don't have to have an outlet box. It's there for convenience and for added safety so that if the appliance is removed you don't run the risk of bare wires protruding until a new appliance is fitted.

In my experience delivery crews who are expected to "install" appliances are not electricians and have the barest minimum of training, so will use the least excuse not to do the installation.

Did a cooker swap the other day where the terminal outlet had been built into the kitchen wall, but the kitchen refit had put a cabinet slap across the outlet face so it couldn't be taken off to get at the cable terminals. Had to disconnect the cable from the old cooker and reconnect it to the new one (or dismantle the kitchen units....)

PJ

You wonder if fitters like that lick the windows in the van on the way to the job...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back