Moving a Gas boiler - New or Re-use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Potterton Profile boiler which works very well, but due to building an extension I need to have it moved. It is over 15 years old so doesn't comply with latest regs; does someone know if it can be relocated or would moving it mean I have to have a new one that is compliant.
Thanks, Phil.

Sponsored Links
if its original position is shown on the plans/drawings submitted by your architect/designer then it cannot be moved into a new location :(

I would say there is absolutely nothing to stop you from having it moved, apart from possible issues with the flue.

Sponsored Links
Although it goes against my expectation of the intention of the legislation, it does seem to be well established that an existing boiler CAN be moved.

Having said that flue parts are unlikely to be available,

Furthermore when considering the cost of moving it then there seems to be little point in not fitti ng a new boiler.

Its more expensive to move a boiler than to fit a new one ( apart from the new boiler cost! ).

Tony

hi phil i had an extension fitted in 2008/9 and in my building regs application ,which i am reasonably sure you have your own copy, under central heating it states that boilers to be condensing type sedbuk rated and to comply with approved document L1 Pt2. (written in nov 2007)
now i suspect you already knew this and your enquiry was more in hope than anything else but legally you cannot have your boiler moved.
but all over the uk illegal things do happen, especially when pound notes get exchanged. amazing eh? :D

Which is fine.......until he comes to sell and can't produce the correct paperwork.......

A number of items are now obselete on the old profiles........strange but the OP pays probably many thousands for a new extension but not the grand or so to get and fit a new boiler??! Which would save him money in the long term

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back