Moving a gas meter?

Why pay a RGI when the supplier does it free? Unless they have a friend who does "Mates Rates" :rolleyes:
Would the supplier also do the pipework from the repositioned meter to the domestic appliances for free while they are there?

i wondered about that as well, as they usually cap the supply so that they are not liable for all the appliances, pipework etc inside

Ah yes. Surely they wouldnt? We would obviously need a bit of internal work (not much) as well following any possible "free" reposition.

Sponsored Links
Why pay a RGI when the supplier does it free? Unless they have a friend who does "Mates Rates" :rolleyes:
Would the supplier also do the pipework from the repositioned meter to the domestic appliances for free while they are there?

No, move the meter/pipework within 1-2 meter....usually involves cutting outlet pipework 1-2met,extending/replace with new pipework fittings etc,replacing (with extended flex) guvnor & meter,re-test etc

No, move the meter/pipework within 1-2 meter....usually involves cutting outlet pipework 1-2met,extending/replace with new pipework fittings etc,replacing (with extended flex) guvnor & meter,re-test etc

So, they would do the small amount of internal work as well???

How about the new meter?

Yes, new meter....new guvnor, new pipework as long as its 1-2 meters from original position.

Sponsored Links
Right EDF are getting back to me.

I have someone from National Grid coming later in the week to check on the old disued gas pipe, to see if it can be removed.

So, I will ask him about moving the meter when hes here too. Any chance he might just do it for me while hes here? Or am I being far too optimistic?

Are you still hoping it will all be free? :LOL:

Well National Grid say if its is an old dead pipe they will remove it from my property for free.

EDF didnt mention any charges and did suggest the small movement would be done without charge and they are looking into replacing the meter at the same time.

So, who knows, we'll see.

Well, result!

National Grid came in today to check the disued pipe. They confirmed it was old and dead and I could cut it no problems :)

Secondly, he checked the meter over about moving it and said it had a small leak. So, he changed it and fitted an extended flex pipe so its just a case of moving it. Our gas chappie will do that when he does all the other bits and bobs down there.

Excellent service! All sorted now.

Thanks all.

I'm a RGI who is also qualified to move gas meters & do this on a regular basis, these jobs are done free (by supplier) as long as they are within 1-2 meters....the problems arise when the customer wants the service pipe moved to outside or wants an external meterbox fitted,these jobs are priced by national grid as they req gas shut of from st & usually cost between £500-1000. Going by your picture there shouldn't be a problem,the job shouldn't take more than 1/2 hr for competant RGI,get on the blower to your supplier and tell them you need your meter repositioned 1 meter as your getting work done in cellar, dont pay any RGI to do this as 1.They wont have permission from supplier & probably dont have the relevant qaulification 2. Your supplier will do this free of charge.

I note you are based in Fife. Can you tell me how I obtain a quote to move existing gas meter, which is already outside house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back