Moving a gas meter?

Sponsored Links
I have been passed from pillar to post so far by suppliers and transporters, thats why I asked.

I was told around £600 to move across the room and £1000 to move outside. Then I read, within the confines of the flex pipe a RGI could do it and would take 20 mins.

It seems to me that no one really knows the answer to this?
So, your question should be to ask any RGI on here whether they would be permitted to undertake such a task. Unfortunately, those who have responded haven't made clear whether or not they are such personnel.

Yes, thats the question I guess. Like you say, the answer seems unclear.

Looks to me that where you want to move it to is where it should have been installed in the first place.

...what's in that conduit?

I would agree, but I dont think that argument will get me anywhere.

The white pipe, we understand, is an old gas main. The meter is not connected to that, so thats irrelevant really.

We do want to remove that white pipe as well, but thats another question :)

I'm a RGI who is also qualified to move gas meters & do this on a regular basis, these jobs are done free (by supplier) as long as they are within 1-2 meters....the problems arise when the customer wants the service pipe moved to outside or wants an external meterbox fitted,these jobs are priced by national grid as they req gas shut of from st & usually cost between £500-1000. Going by your picture there shouldn't be a problem,the job shouldn't take more than 1/2 hr for competant RGI,get on the blower to your supplier and tell them you need your meter repositioned 1 meter as your getting work done in cellar, dont pay any RGI to do this as 1.They wont have permission from supplier & probably dont have the relevant qaulification 2. Your supplier will do this free of charge.

Sponsored Links
to be absolutely correct, the procedure is: you advise your supplier, in writing, that you intend to get a RGI who has MET1 to relocate your meter withim 1m of existing,
the reality is you could get a RGI who has MET1 to move the meter without telling anyone, as long as it is done as per all the regs it will be fine when the meter reader comes he wont care as long as it is done properly.
there are fittings available from BES which allow the inlet to be altered allowing more flexibility of meter positioning, if you need the part no:s let me know if you need them

Hoorah - clear instructions of what's required, er, in Scotland! Does the same apply south of the border?

to be absolutely correct, the procedure is: you advise your supplier, in writing, that you intend to get a RGI who has MET1 to relocate your meter withim 1m of existing,
the reality is you could get a RGI who has MET1 to move the meter without telling anyone, as long as it is done as per all the regs it will be fine when the meter reader comes he wont care as long as it is done properly.
there are fittings available from BES which allow the inlet to be altered allowing more flexibility of meter positioning, if you need the part no:s let me know if you need them

That would be great. So, I phone EDF (current supplier) to ask for this? Do I also have to request a new meter? As ideally we would want that at the same time.

Would a new meter be smaller than this old one we have?

Why pay a RGI when the supplier does it free? Unless they have a friend who does "Mates Rates" :rolleyes:

yes best to check with supplier to see if they do it free, if not get an RGI with MET1 and it will cost about £60-75 to get it done,

Why pay a RGI when the supplier does it free? Unless they have a friend who does "Mates Rates" :rolleyes:
Would the supplier also do the pipework from the repositioned meter to the domestic appliances for free while they are there?

Would the supplier also do the pipework from the repositioned meter to the domestic appliances for free while they are there?

i wondered about that as well, as they usually cap the supply so that they are not liable for all the appliances, pipework etc inside

yes best to check with supplier to see if they do it free, if not get an RGI with MET1 and it will cost about £60-75 to get it done,

OK cheers. And, so long as the main pipe coming into the house doesnt need moving, they RGI could move the meter right in to the corner (approc 50 cm)? That would be longer than the flex on there at the moment, so preumably I would just need to pay for the longer flex hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back