Moving a kitchen light switch....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this is probably a ridiculously simple job, but can someone give me a pointer please?

Our new place here has been totally rewired. I now need to move the kitchen light switch to the other side of the door, which means chasing out etc.

I need to extend the existing cable by around 4ft to allow it to run down the new conduit to the new switch position - can I do this using a connector of some kind, like one of the brown round ones I've seen in B&Q etc?

Also, any tips for chasing out - should I use one of those small cutter/ grinder wheels to cut through the plaster or is there a better way to chase out for the conduit? I have got chisels etc!

Hoping someone can advise,

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul. The preferred method here would be to rewire the cable for your switch. If using a junction box it must be accessible for maintenance purposes. Please don't think about burying your cable joint.

You can use a grinder with a stone cutting disc but i've found it to be rather messy in the past. Probably better just to go in with a hammer and chisel. If you do use the grinder remember your ppe and open the doors and windows :LOL:

Regards
Grant

If you do joint the cable a small joint box would do you, just make sure it has enough terminals, and it must be located in a place where it is accessible due to it having screwed connections, like the floor space above. Best way if the switch has only one cable would be to rewire it back to the light, this should be straight forward if been rewired recently. As for chase to kep the plaster from cracking a small grinder or an old hand saw would start it then hammer and chisel to finish off.

Sponsored Links
4ft seems a tad on the short side!

One way would be to connect the existing cables to the new, with a chock block inside the old switch and cover that with a blanking plate.

Hammer and chisel, less dust.

Thanks for the info guys - I'll see if I can trace the switch cabling back and renew it (goes back to one of 5 downlights). It's all up in the loft, and we're in a bungalow so shouldn't be a major issue.

Appreciate the help,

Regards
Paul

If you can trace the wire back and you didn't particularly want to chase your walls then you could use one of those MK wireless switches and receivers...

would this get around part P??? none of the electrical work would be in the kitchen (except removal of cable and switch and that's not notifyable!!)

presumably you'd have to wire the reciever to the light fitting, which is IN the kitchen...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back