Move light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to change the way the door open and I need move the light switch. There is no space in the other wall so my only option is to move it a meter away so the door does not interfere.

How could I extend the cable of the light switch to the new position? I was hoping to use a one to one conector for each cable and chase the wall to the new switch location.

Any suggestions would be great. Cheers
IMG-20230227-WA0004.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can do as you propose, following the green line, BUT you will have to put a blank plate over the existing switch box.

You cannot run the wiring horizontally and then plaster over the old box.

Cables must run in zones (effectively horizontally or vertically) from a switch or socket so that others know where cables are/should be.

Thank you Taylor, is there any other way I could do it without having to keep the blank plate? It would look really awful.

So you may as well move the switch to what will be the correct position after the door is changed.

1677504784385.png

Sponsored Links
So you may as well move the switch to what will be the correct position after the door is changed.
That was my original idea, but my wife want to fix a full side wardrobe where the switch should be position.....:(

Thank you Taylor, is there any other way I could do it without having to keep the blank plate? It would look really awful.
Yes, lift the floor in the room above. Extend the cable in the ceiling void using a maintenance free junction.
Chase down the wall vertically to the new switch poosition. Replaster. decorate

Simples!

is there any other way I could do it without having to keep the blank plate?
Thinking outside the box (or even outside the room!)...make it two way switching with an additional light switch in the hallway?
Hardly any work involved for that :)

...or something involving smart bulbs!

Why can't he do a joint, and plaster over??

The existing switch is within 150mm from the corner, and the new cable will go horizontally.

Assuming the current switch cable is within 150mm from the corner (which it appears to be), then all will be in a wiring zone.

The only thing left to think about, surely, would be HOW to join the cable so it can be plastered over safely and correctly.

Why can't he do a joint, and plaster over??

The existing switch is within 150mm from the corner, and the new cable will go horizontally.

Assuming the current switch cable is within 150mm from the corner (which it appears to be), then all will be in a wiring zone.

The only thing left to think about, surely, would be HOW to join the cable so it can be plastered over safely and correctly.
Good spot, mate. Didn’t think of that :rolleyes:

If the existing cable is in tube, you may be able to replace the cable, to avoid having a joint in the plaster.

I didn't think of it either, BUT -

could it be that neither of us thought of it be because it is not really a corner; more an edge (with just a pretend door frame)?

Also, would anyone in the future think it is a corner and there might be a cable there?

That was my original idea, but my wife want to fix a full side wardrobe where the switch should be position.....:(
Architrave switch?

its more intuitive to have a light switch close to the doorway, on handle side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back