Moving a manhole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
buying my first home and searches revealed lateral drain in the back

Hi. I am purchasing my first home and the drainage searches revealed that there is a manhole 2.4 meters from the back wall of the house . It is on a t junction and thames water have said that I will need to move the manhole at my expense. I was wondering if any one could give an rough idea of the cost involved for this kind of work. Any help would be mostly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it receives waste from neighbouring properties, then moving it out of the line of the existing run would be difficult. But you could still build over it, with agreement, just as long as it remains accessible. Under such circumstances, a double-sealed manhole cover is advisable!

Knowing nothing about the specifics of the project, I would allow £5000 for repositioning the manhole.

Why do you need to move the inspection chamber?

The OP hasn't mentioned building over the drain, so why the need to move it? Am I missing something or is it that I'm just not wearing my clairvoyant hat?

Sponsored Links
Assuming it receives waste from neighbouring properties,

If it does then it is a shared servce and the Water Company are responsible for its maintenance.

If you wish to build over a shared sewer then the Water Compnay can object to the plans citing future lack of access to a sewer they have to maintain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back