Moving a Radiator...if I block the header tank outlet...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

Been looking to move an upstairs radiator to the left 2m.

I don't really want to go through having to drain the whole system and rebalance/bleed the whole lot again, so was wondering if it would be possible to block the header tank outlet in the loft to stop water re-entering the system, turn off all the upstairs rads and then remove the rad I want to without a major disaster

In theory, I keep thinking it would be possible, as the only supply the rad in question would get would be from the other upstairs rads and the header tank.

I have removed the rad and left the valves in situ, so I can test to check the flow has stopped before I get the pipe cutters out!!

Am I being too simplistic in my thinking?

Thanks all

Chris :confused:

Sponsored Links
You will need to block off the vent pipe also, (22mm bent back over header tank) remember to work on one open end at a time.

Black floors wont go down well :eek:

It should work - don't forget you need to plug the vent pipe too.

Only work on one pipe at a time - two open ends invites disaster.

Have some stop ends immediatly to hand just in case.

Turn off / isolate the electrical supply to the system 'coz you don't want the boiler firing up or the pump starting at an inopportune moment.

Sponsored Links
You can bung the system but you will sruggle to solder the pipe if that's what you're planning.

Thanks guys

I ahve been stewing over this for months, keep putting it off, thinking it is going to worse than it is

You have given me the help I need just to get started

The carpet is up at the moment, so a a bit of black staining should be ok.

The good thing is that I can at least open each stop valve to check no flow coming before I break the circuit

Great site

Chris :D

You can get up to 3 or 4 pints before it locks up so dont panic if you initially get water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back