Moving a shed about 3 feet back - or ideas for the space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum, first time post been DIYing for about a year since buying first own home.

Thought I'd join here to ask a few questions now and then on topics I know nothing about. So here's my first.

Let me set the scene - I have a 12 x 8 shed in my garden. See picture's attached of before and now (the now also includes a 2.8m x 3 riser deck up to the large lump of concrete in front of the garage!)

2ir0zkm.jpg

dm4so4.png

Now, that green shed is about 3 feet away from the garage - the previous owners had a second bespoke shed inserted in there but it was a bit ugly and old and full of spiders so I pulled it down. The shed rests on about 7 joists, and these joists also run the additional 3 feet to the garage. Therefore, the space behind is about 8ft x 3ft.

So, my options?

1. Ideally I thought I could empty the shed and move it the 3 feet to the garage. But it will be heavy, and as you can see from the surroundings, it will be really awkward with that concrete one side, the garage at the back, and a fence on the other side. So I could possibly grab a few well built mates and try and "shove" it the three required feet along the existing joists, but not sure about if that would even be possible if it's really heavy, and of the structural stability in doing that. Or get some ultra long jacks that squeeze underneath it, raise it, and wheel it back - do extra long jacks exist?

2. I could do something with the space. Ideas I have range from decking it at the top of the concrete level and using the underneath as storage, but that will be tricky, putting a 3ft x 8ft jacuzzi in there but the plumbing may be a bit tricky, running steps down there and making it a potting area, though I don't really pot!

So failing point 1, I'm open to some really creative thinking about the use of such space!

Sorry for the novel sized post. Hoping for some help!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Moving is probably the easiest option. I've moved larger sheds over much greater distances. In your case it only needs lifting a little , enough to insert a couple of scaffold poles on which the shed can slide or roll depending on the orientation of the joists.
Alternatively you could build a small lean to to roof over the space if you need the additional storage , might make a decent log store for example. Really depends on how much access you have .

If you leave it where it is, you have plenty of space for preserving/repairing the shed (or garage!)

Thanks v much for the replies.

So firstly - The joists go from front to back, so rolling would work I guess. I just can't imagine how you do that? Lift the front up using say standard car jacks, put the scaffolding poles perhaps half way underneath, then pull down on the shed so it sits balanced on the poles, roll back as much as possible, then re-raise slightly to get to the poles out, and drop?

A lean to was there before, but it was horrible and ugly, so I pulled it down.

To the second reply, I could leave it but it's then just dead wasted space in an already small garden. And it's a little dangerous as is a 3 ft drop from the concrete, so I'd have to put some fence or barrier up anyway. I'd be happy to leave it, if I could just think of something nice to do with it, either practical or just decorative - which again lends me to the decked area with storage hatch perhaps.

Sponsored Links
Yes essentially you have the idea of how to move it on rollers. Easier with a couple of you and using a timber as a lever rather than a car jack . A timber gives lift but can also be used to "walk" the shed sideways too. You don't appear to have much space to the right which makes it more awkward . You say it sits on joists that extend that further 3 feet so assuming it's not nailed down it may also be possible to slide it on those joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back