Moving a Storage HEater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please excuse my ignorance, as I haven't got a lot of experience with electrics!

I need to move a storage heater accross my living room, and wire it into the wall.

How do I go about this..?!

Sponsored Links
wire it into the wall? you obviously dont have a clue - walls dont just emit power! ;) :LOL:

but seriously, if you dont know a lot about electrics, this sort of thing isn't for the faint hearted* - get a pro in to do tho work, but you can do the donkey work - preparing for the cable runs, mounting the heater in its new position.

*high currents involved, possibly 2 inputs - it can get rather complex when it comes to storage heaters!

ha...good one!

I see your point.

Any idea how much I'd need to pay and elctrician to do the job...If I do all the donkey work first..?!

It depends. The main issue is access to the cables between where the outlet is now and where you want it to be.

Get a couple of quotes. Turn off the unit a good 24 hours before your man arrives to do the job - he won't appreciate burned fingers!

Sponsored Links
The cable will need to be run from either the old point, or the fusebox - which ever is easiest.

Is this a bungalow?
Any access above or below?
Stud wall or solid?

If you are going to do the donkey work, get a sparky out to quote, and he will show you what he wants you to do ;)

I 'unwired' the Heater over the weekend, so it'll be nicely cooled down now.

thanks for your help

it's a one bed flat. How easy would it be to get a longer cable and wire that to the storage heater and use the exsisting point...?

What? A realllllly long flex :rolleyes:

Not a good idea....

Get the job done properly ;)

Well I wouldn't do it, and no other spark would either.

I have seen it done - but it's not right at all.

if its just one cable, and as you have already unwired it, you could do it yourself if you feel you can do it - you obviously felt capable to disconnect the heater.

Take the cable from the back of the outlet box / FCU on the wall and feed it under the floor. join the extension cable to this (with crimps or, if accessible, a junction box) and run the new length of cable over to the outlet box / FCU at the new location.

Not sure if this is notifiable work, it probably is! ask ban!

Under FLOOR not carpet.....

Sorry, just get the impression he wants to extend the flex from the DP switch to the heater....clipping to skirting and running under carpet :(

On another risk. Is this an old heater? Many early storage heaters used asbestos between the bricks. As these heat and cool they expand and contract, slowly grinding the asbestos to a dust. When you move the heater there is a risk of a lungful of dust. Don't just vacuum clean - wet clean - as the dust will go through the normal vac filters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back