Moving a Toilet Flush Handle (Convert to a Top Flush?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a toilet in the basement that is so close to a wall with the side of the flush handle that it is very, very difficult to flush. In the interest of being frugal, I'd like to see if it is possible to move the flush handle without buying a new tank.

It seems that the simplest idea I could come up with is to install a top flushing conversion kit, however I can't seem to find any like that. I've found toilets you can buy with top flushing installed, but no kits.

Is this possible to do or does anyone have any other ideas on moving the flush handle?

Would it be too difficult to cut a new hole in to the porcelain? I have never tried to cut in to anything porcelain, but it may be an interesting learning experience if it is feasible. I suppose if I broke the toilet doing this, I'd just get a new tank.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Check out Screwfix 38533 - there are a few variations and this is one of the simplest. Fluidmaster are good products too and the flapper is replaceable.
You will have to split the existing loo though.
Dont try to drill the ceramic in your cistern!
John :)

Thank you for the quick reply. At first glance these seem doable and may work well.

Congratulations on post 3500 :)

Thank you and I didn't realise your post was from a friend across the Atlantic!! :cool:
I doubt you'll have Screwfix over there but hopefully something similar!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I boxed in an old cistern and just drilled a hole thru the top of the boxing lid [leaving off the cistern lid] and connect flush pull to a wire attached to a large wooden door knob sitting on top of the boxing, works well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back