Moving a toilet pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some advice on how I can move a toilet waste pipe as I need to install a shower where it is currently located.

1. What size diamond drill bit do I use.
2. Once I remove the old pipe how do I fill the hole and with what materials?
3. Should I drill from inside out? This is on a second floor very tall victorian house.
4. Can I fit the new pipe by just climbing up a ladder or do I need a scaffold tower?
5. Plus anything else I may not have thought about.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
1. a size which is bigger than your outlet pipe;
2. from the outside if you have infinite skill and
patience in measuring, otherwise from the inside;
3. old newspapers or mortar;
4. from a step ladder.

If you have to ask the question about ladders then you need a tower. I think step ladders are the most dangerous, and to small for this job I think.

I will go for the step ladder approach but with caution! A tower for this just seems overkill.

Any recommendations on best make of diamond drill I should go for, Screw Fix have an offer on Erbauer, what are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
You want a 117mm core drill.
If it is on the 2nd floor then it will be approx 5.5metres of the ground. If you are not used to ladder work then hire a tower..
Run a 450mmx6mm drill right through the wall from inside then you have both front and back centres marked, then core drill from both inside and out.
Brick your hole up in and out
With regard to Erbauer. You get what you pay for and they are only a DIY tool, so do not expect to much.
If we did not have core drills, we would stick a 6mm bit right through ,then scribe a 130mm circle and stitch drill from both sides and knock it out with hammer and chisel, and point up round pipe.
Regards oldun

Don't forget that when sizing up the waste pipe hole that you may need to accommodate the thicker female part of a pipe fitting (90 degree bend etc) as this may need to be inside the brickwork.

I will go for the step ladder approach but with caution!

:eek:
Tell yer what. Been running 25 rung pole ladders for a large lump of my life, but if I was approaching a pair of steps with a view to going up to the 2nd floor of a three story building, we would have more than caution.
We would have 4 pairs of underpants and bike clips round bottom of jeans.
Regards oldun

If I were to risk it, I'd use at minimum a set of combi's (with the wide foot) and a mate on the bottom, and drilling a core I'd also be clipping myself to the top of the ladder! :!:

Don't work off a ladder, the ladder is only for taking you from A and B.

I was working on the tower but slipped off the side ladder just 3 foot from the ground, that me out from anything from 3-6 months :oops: :cry:

Was wearing my totectors safety boot, the pain was unbearable, I could not talk or move for 20 mins. 8 days later it's still very painful, I'm gutted

If you want a tidy job then you want to do at least an inch from the outside so that you don't blow the face of the bricks, but there's no way I'd core drill up a ladder - even with a good clutch, when your SDS grabs you'll know about it.

Maybe you can rope yourself to the existing soil stack so that if the worst happens you want fall too far!

Oh,and don't forget to drill the hole angled downwards - not upwards - as water tends to flow downhill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back