Moving a Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to move an upstairs window by approx 600mm to make room for a new loft staircase. Currently there is a wooden lintel in place above the window which will need replacing.

The loft extenstion has a large beam directly above the new window position with a loading of 8KN on the wall (although not loaded yet as conversion not complete).

What type of lintel should I consider for this job - concrete, box steel or even a short length of UB? What are the relative strengths of these?

Note: The window is only 820mm wide and the walls are 9" solid (no cavity).

Thanks for any help.
Mark

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a 9" "catnic" that's a generic term -there's various types to choose from just go to your local merchants & have a word.

i would imagine the SE who specified the 'large beam' will probably help as if it bears above this wndow his calcs will no doubt be affected..

Errmm- missed the point about the "beam" :oops:
It's difficult to envisage the position of the beam & window, also the relationship with the external structure, ie brickwork, rendering etc.

If there is external brickwork showing above, then a catnic type lintol has to be preferred. If however the window is tight to the eaves- and it's hard to imagine that it is- then your beam will do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for there input.

We decided to put a new heavy duty steel box lintel above the window just to be on the safe side.

Probably a bit overkill but at last we know it's safe.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back