Moving an internal water meter - regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm with United Utilities and I have an internal water meter. I understand it's possible to have the water meter moved privately provided you fill out a form and send off a cheque. UU then come out and inspect the meter and re-seal it. The meter has to move because I'm decorating the room it's in, and the regs say it cannot be boxed in; it has to be accessible. I don't want exposed pipes or some random looking box in the middle of the room....

http://www.unitedutilities.com/documents/Relocating_your_household_water_meter.pdf

My question relates to the new location.

The leaflet says the meter should be placed as 'closely as possible to the incoming supply pipe'...

I want it moved from the floor of the existing room, to the garage. There's only one pipe from the meter, and that goes to the garage anyway, so the meter is just moving slightly further 'down pipe'. Because of the way the pipework runs, the meter will be at head height once in the garage, and it will be about 6ft away from the incoming supply pipe.

Is this OK?

Also, the leaflet talks about a 300mm minimum length between the stop valve outlet and the service valve intet. Why is this? Shouldn't that read maximum length?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back