fee for moving an existing water meter?!...found a loophole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moving an existing water meter costs at least around £50 (with United Utilities)...while applying for a new water meter costs nothing?!
In my case this situation is quite a possibility cos' I've applied for a "lead pipe replacement scheme" which means (in my specific case) a new water connection is going to be laid in a different location from the existing meter.
In a way, I might just forget about the existing meter (United Utilities are going to collect it I presume) - basically, I'll use water and pay a basic tariff (based on the value of property) and then if I find it more convenient; apply for a water meter?! (good, because that's free).
Is that a glaring loophole I see?
I've contacted United Utilities and waiting for a reply....meanwhile - it would be interesting to hear from other members of the forum.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you're talking about the same address for the existing and new then I doubt you have found a loophole as I strongly suspect they will have it on record. However utilities have been known to get things wrong.

Assuming you're talking about the same address for the existing and new then I doubt you have found a loophole as I strongly suspect they will have it on record. However utilities have been known to get things wrong.

As it stands....they seems to be getting it wrong - I myself, I forgot about the water meter (honestly)...and just completed the plumbing inside my property - they (United Utilities) have to complete their part by digging outside and connecting the new supply....
To complicate things - the new pipe from the new stopcock is 22mm - while the old meter takes only 15mm....so I can't even use the existing meter as this should be located just after the stopcock....and I suspect, there is no 22mm water meter (waiting to know from them about this) this is going to be interesting. :rolleyes:
Maybe I'm commended to "no water meter" unless I convert the new piping near the stopcock to 15mm?!

Sponsored Links
Moving an existing water meter costs at least around £50 (with United Utilities)...while applying for a new water meter costs nothing?!
In my case this situation is quite a possibility cos' I've applied for a "lead pipe replacement scheme" which means (in my specific case) a new water connection is going to be laid in a different location from the existing meter.
In a way, I might just forget about the existing meter (United Utilities are going to collect it I presume) - basically, I'll use water and pay a basic tariff (based on the value of property) and then if I find it more convenient; apply for a water meter?! (good, because that's free).
I've contacted United Utilities and waiting for a reply....meanwhile - it would be interesting to hear from other members of the forum.

For a start - is a loophole to save £50 a big deal?

Also, in the AWA area, it may be different elsewhere, if a meter is fitted, you have a certain period where you can go back to rates, if you find the meter is more expensive - BUT if you move into a house with a meter you are stuck with it.

If you opted for going back to the rates, I don't imagine the meter would be removed - it will sit there for the next incumbent.

So I am not sure your plan will work.

For a start - is a loophole to save £50 a big deal?

Also, in the AWA area, it may be different elsewhere, if a meter is fitted, you have a certain period where you can go back to rates, if you find the meter is more expensive - BUT if you move into a house with a meter you are stuck with it.

If you opted for going back to the rates, I don't imagine the meter would be removed - it will sit there for the next incumbent.

So I am not sure your plan will work.

What do you mean by "plan"? Maybe the "loophole" term gave you the wrong idea but there is no plan on my part....just the realization that something isn't quite right and tomorrow is going to be interesting to hear from UU about this weird situation....
It's easy to forget about the water meter - (in fact UU is guilty of forgetting about it not just me) the new water piping is in place but one is supposed to move the old meter to the new place while living in the house and using water? Doh...give me a snorkel.
So' how can one move the existing meter on the new site? Logic says UU should provide a new meter long before they start digging outside....then, after connecting the new water supply, they should collect the old meter (it's their property inside my property).
Otherwise....they are "encouraging" (shoud I say "forcing) us to not to use the meter = more expensive in my case....which is partially compensated by the fact that having a new meter is free?!
Another option should be to get the new connection sorted (wait for UU to connect the new supply)....stop the new supply and the old as well via the relative stopcocks and then moving the meter to the new site - this means my bills won't change. This seems the more likely.

I've receive some feedback directly from UU....
Apparently, they'll bother to install the meter outside for free - this because it's part of the Lead Replacement Scheme....this sounds good, but I'm puzzled by the apparently lack of information provided and it seems the UU staff I quizzed didn't know about the meter? :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back