Moving an oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of building an extension and having the oil boiler moved at the same time. Can I run the oil pipe under the floor to the new location or do I have to dig a trench round the house?

It is a suspended wooden floor with a crawl space underneath. Ideally I would like to run plastic oil pipe. It would be impossible to bury it but it could be run in conduit, I suppose.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plastic fuel pipe not allowed within building. Could use copper on roll with no joints preferably. Personally I would dig around if possible. Oil pipe inside a building is asking for trouble. One leak and the stench of oil will mean you will have to move out until oil the soaked structure timber / plaster / brickwork is removed.

Now the smell is something I never thought of. A well installed pipe should never leak but if it did you could have gallons of the stuff permeating into the ground below the house at which point the only thing to do would be to set it alight. Only joking, so don't tell me off.

You are correct. I attend properties with boilers in basements with no oil shut off solenoid and in the case of an oil leak they have to move out due to the odour. The insurance company’s “disaster”contractors make a fortune chopping out bricks and digging holes to get rid of the “contamination “
A two hour hose blast would be cheaper but the water table has to be considered apparently
Also in your case the fire protection valve must be outside before the oil line enters th building

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If I were you I'd not go under the house.I work for insurance companies and I deal with the clean up guys and wow do they go to town on a leak they dig down about 10 feet and sometimes take down
Loads of the building,makes me feel sorry for the homeowners.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back