Moving Boiler from floor level to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've a first floor, 2 bedroom flat (concrete built, late 70's / early 80'2) and I've been looking at replacing the standard boiler with a Combi and moving it up onto the wall to make access to it easier (as it's in the corner of the kitchen). I've been told that I'm likely to need a new 22mm pipe run if I do this, and the total cost is just silly at £3.5k approx. I'm wondering if it's within regs to move the existing boiler (or a new one that wouldn't need new pipework) up on to the wall and extend the existing pipework to it? The plumber who my builder (putting in a new kitchen too) spoke to, wants £1.3k for this, but I don't know if also means new pipework as they seem reluctant to provide a quote. If I have to leave it as is and work the kitchen around it, then so be it.

Boiler info. Ideal Classic FF 340. (Had to wait for info) Flat is a rental, so don't have photo's to hand as we're not local.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Moving to a combination boiler will likely require the gas pipe to be upgraded. Hence the cost.

Prices online are meaningless, but any chimp converting a system from heat only to a combi will not be doing it correctly for a total cost of £1.3k (assuming that includes materials).

£3.5k is far from silly. It could well be a decent price.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant that moving my existing boiler up was going to cost £1.3k, but don't know if that still meant new pipework.

Make & model of existing boiler? Couple of photos maybe...something for us to go on?

Sponsored Links
Make & model of existing boiler? Couple of photos maybe...something for us to go on?

Sorry, didn't have the details at the time as it's a rental and I'm not local to it. Ideal Classic FF 340. I don't know why I can't my question across correctly, sorry. I just wanted to know if you can move an existing boiler regardless of the current supply pipe diameter, or does any move mean that the supply pipes have to meet the current standard? If that clearer?

It's depends what capacity is left in the current pipe. Would an extra metre or two make a difference? Dunno. Maybe, maybe not. Is it the correct size currently? What is the working pressure?

Also, there is a strong chance that the flue won't survive the removal process and might not be available anymore.

It's depends what capacity is left in the current pipe. Would an extra metre or two make a difference? Dunno. Maybe, maybe not. Is it the correct size currently? What is the working pressure?

Also, there is a strong chance that the flue won't survive the removal process and might not be available anymore.

All good points, and quite possibly the reason I'm not gas engineer. :) Thank you.

So, as I've found my last gas safety certificate. Inlet Working Pressure is 19 m/bar, and appliance max burner pressure is 11 m/bar. With that information, do you think the existing boiler could be moved (and get a new flu), or even just get a new boiler like for like boiler? Many thanks in advance.

You. Might need to upgrade a short length of the supply, but yes, like for like should be ok.

You might even be able to go down a size as newer boilers are more efficient and often the older ones are over sized.

With a flat much depends on where the meters are etc.

Sometimes it just isn't feasible to upgrade the gas. There are quite a few blocks in Northampton where BG won't even quote for a boiler swap as the existing pipes are undersize and running new supplies isn't feasible.

You need a couple of quotes to compare really, this one can't be priced over the 'net

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back