Moving Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering moving my boiler from the ground floor to my loft. The boiler is a ideal classic. The gas pipe comes in from the bottom out of the wall - 15mm Diam? The water pipes then feed out of the top under the bedroon floor and to a cylinder cupboard upstairs, where the pump, valve is, etc

To get the gas to the new position, one plumber has said he would run the supply on the outside wall.
Another chap has said he could use the redundant water pipe from the old boiler position as the gas feed - this is 22mm. I would prefer this option BUT is it legal? Will it still be Ok - i.e is there a pressure issue?

I'm also thinking of having a new boiler but which should i go for? Combi, condensing ? or stick with what i've got ? Any advise much appreciatted

thanks

Sponsored Links
You must use a condensing boiler now.

Your Classic is quite old now and a new boiler would be the best option.

Its difficult to guess at the best way of getting the gas to the loft but a pipe up the outside is often a good solution. Thats why your local CORGI is the best person to advise.

Tony

Although using a pipe that has carried clean water is usually ok a pipe that has had CH water passing through it can be full of black crude that dries out and flakes off blocking pipe and filters in gas valve.
Nothing up with running a pipe up the outside and if your lucky it can be hidden at the side of drain pipe . Also it soon dulls down and hardly sticks out

Sponsored Links
Don't get confused by condensing and combi boilers (quite common with customers)

All boilers will now usually have to be condensing. Combi boilers are instant hot water boilers and do the radiators as well.

Heat only boilers are either open vent, (as your classic probably is) or system boilers that work on a sealed system like a combi.

These last 2 will require a HW cylinder to be used for your hot tap water.

If you want to put the boiler in the loft you will probably need a system boiler as there may not be enough height above the boiler for the F & E tank to be the required 1M above the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back