MOVING BT CONNECTOR BOX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move the position of the connector box into which the BT line comes.
The previous owners had wires all over the walls and I need to move the box so the new wires can be concealed. The wire from the pole will need to be rerouted.

Do I have to get BT to do the work?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Call BT. All of the wiring up to and including the master socket is BT's.

Youcan run your own wires and sockets to connect to the master socket - usually what is called a linebox. This allows you/BT to easily disconnect your wiring to prove any fault onto the BT (or your wiring) side.

Openreach will move it but its £120 just for a callout then £99 per hour

I'm going to be moving mine soon, and (shock horror) replacing the old yellowed NTE5 with a spanking new white one.

If you don't hear from me again it'll either be because I failed to reconnect a few wires correctly, or the BT Stasi have kicked down the doors in the night...

Sponsored Links
Ah.

I didn't really focus on that - who knows what her "reroute" means in practice? Shinning up the pole, or moving it to the other side of a window?

I'm re-routing my drop cable through a different hole in the wall and then up through the ceiling into the room above...

Apparently dropwires are quite heavy and as such trying to detatch them and reattach them while on a ladder is not a good idea.

And if the drop wire is over a road, and is an older install with the clearence less than 5.2m, they are then not allowed to work up the pole without a picker...

My reroute is to drop the incoming wire under the roof tiles and down to a box which will also house the elec meter inside the porch. At the moment all the external wires go down the outside of the flint work which looks dreadful. Also I will need to replace the window onto which the current connector is located so best to move it out of the way.

I had better call BT

Thanks

You wont be able to put anything in that box with the meter.

Two issues:
1. the electricity board doesnt allow anything but their equipment in there
2. you must segregate low voltage stuff (like telephone) from higher voltage stuff (like 230V mains).
A distance of at least 50mm is required for safety reasons (its also a good idea because otherwise you can get a very annoying mains buzz on your telephone line)

I have a load of space in the box as it is an internal one that we have made up. I am in a conservation area and cannot put box on outside of house.
Thanks for info re 50mm will make sure Telephone is a long way from meter.

Hi all

This is kind of on the same note, but I hope you can help.

After recently decorating we removed the phone socket from the kitchen
wall, and in dong so seem to have loosened some of the wires
from their pins ( the phones were making a strange crackling noise) and nudging and moving the socket fixed the issue temporarily . Now however
we have no dialing tone at all .

I'm just here to ask if it is safe for me to attempt to reconect the pins
myslef as I'm not sure what curret is running through the cable
, would there be a supply in my trip box I need to turn off first ?

Kind regards

Nic

I'm just here to ask if it is safe for me to attempt to reconect the pins myslef

What pins. You'll either find a screw terminal (easy enough) or an IDC. You'll need a suitable tool if it's the latter.

as I'm not sure what curret is running through the cable

B****r all current, 48VDC. Not exactly life threatening.

would there be a supply in my trip box I need to turn off first ?

No, the phone line is completely independant to your electrical supply.

I'm not sure what curret is running through the cable

50V DC on an idle line, with limited current, i.e. no harm done if you short the wires together, it will just make the line show as busy. There is up to 90V AC superimposed on that when the line is ringing, enough to give you a tingle if you happen to be hanging onto the line when it rings, especially if you have damp or sweaty fingers etc. In practice though, we work on live telephone lines all the time.

Remove the lower plate of the NTE and plug your phone directly into the test socket. If you get a dial tone, then the incoming line connections are O.K. and it's just your extension wiring which needs attention, which is disconnected from the line when the plate is removed anyway.

Thanks very much for the quick reply I'll certainly have a poke when I get home. I'm sure it's something very simple .

Thanks again

Nic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back