Moving downstairs toilet, soil pipe into concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I am needing to move a downstairs toilet to fit in with a rearranged design and though I would see what everyone thinks of my plan.

The current toilet if quite far from the wall and appears to go straight into a plastic soil pipe buried into a concrete sub floor, my guess is it drops fairy straight down into a T section that joins into the rest of the system, which has the main drains to one side and an AAV to the other.

My plan is to break up the concrete on the left side of the toilet as far as the pipe connection and effectively cut it out and move it to the left closer to the AAV section on the boxing in to the left of the toilet. Hope that makes sense.

Can anyone think of anything that might throw a spanner in the works, this part of the house is 1950s but I believe all the drains were replaced as part of an extension on 2006.

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• IMG_20200116_190831.jpg
    IMG_20200116_190831.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_20200116_190841.jpg
    IMG_20200116_190841.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_20200116_190750.jpg
    IMG_20200116_190750.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 421
Sponsored Links
Can’t imagine much of a problem unless your water or electric come in to the house in the same trench as the drain.

On the face of it there shouldn't be any issues, I would wait until you get down to the branch though to see what you have before any final decisions

Cheers guys, current plan is to dig out a small section to the left of the toilet so I can have a good look around, hopefully it won't change my plans.

Any ideas on the best way to cut the concrete out and how deep it might be?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t cut concrete inside, or do you mean breaking it out? You will probably need a small breaker, one up from an SDS with a chisel.

Remove the pan and measure the depth of the drain first before drilling/ chiseling it out, easiest way is to daisy chain a series of holes with a sds.
Would it not be less hassle and mess to cut another branch in the vertical soil stack?.

OP,
do you mean that the AAV is inside the boxing?
what else is inside the boxing?
is that back wall an internal or an external wall?
is any wall in the compartment an external wall?
is the f/f bathroom or toilet directly above?

if you have a circular saw then chuck up with a masonry disc, and cut the concrete to about 20mm, or deeper if needed, in a few shallow 6mm passes - lightly water spray as you go.
then a few knocks with a hammer or chisel should open the slab up to be picked away with a chisel.
stuff the soil pipe to keep out debris.
post pics when you've exposed the pipe and any Tee.

Hi Guys,

bobasd - Yes the AAV is in the boxing in, the back wall is a party wall between properties, and the room is completely internal, with no bathroom above.

Did some digging over the weekend so now have a better view of whats there, see attached. I did a trial fit with the new toilet and the pipe needs to end up where I've put a mark on the skirting board, this is about 190mm away, would I be able to get away with two 45 degree bends, to just add a sort of dog leg or do I need to dig out the whole T piece and shift it along (requires a lot bigger hole).

Thanks James

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_182049.jpg
    IMG_20200119_182049.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_20200119_182109.jpg
    IMG_20200119_182109.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 438
Dropping onto a T isn’t ideal but it must work. I think the 45’s would work fine, the second one would steer everything in the right direction.

Would it be possible to put a branch on the vertical section and connect the pan outlet horizontaly into it or am I going the wrong way

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments, If I have enough fall to fit in the two 45's then I'll go for that, if not I'll see if I can dig it out a bit more and branch the vertical.

Probably getting a bit ahead of myself but what's the best way to fill the hole after, should I back fill with soft sand and then fill with screed? Worried about drying time as I need to start tiling as soon as possible?

Thanks,
James

I’d drop in 10mm pea gravel them ballast mixed with cement or extra rapid cement if you want it to go off quicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back