Moving electrical sockets 6 inches as shown in images without altering cables , is this allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As shown in pictures I will be boxing up pipes from the boiler under the breakfast bar. While I'm at it, it would be tidy if I can move the double electrical socket and the fused spur which power the boiler as shown in the picture, no wires will need extending , wires come from under the floorboard and it's not buried to the wall atm, so I don't feel it's safe so I was going to burry the wires to the wall anyway .

1. Is it allowed to have electrical sockets near to gas pipe as in picture 2? the edge of the back box will be 5cm away from the gas pipe

2. Am I allowed to do this myself or do I need an electrician called in for notifying or to issue a minor works certificate?

Current setup
pic1.jpg

Proposed setup

pic2.jpg

thanks

Sponsored Links
If the cables come up from the floor into the bottom of the socket etc then it is fine. You cant take the cables from where they are now and sort of take them round the corner.
Its a DIY job. Certify it yourself if you like, nobody is going to care.

If the cables come up from the floor into the bottom of the socket etc then it is fine. You cant take the cables from where they are now and sort of take them round the corner.
Its a DIY job. Certify it yourself if you like, nobody is going to care.

Thanks

At the moment cables come from floorboard around the corner to the bottom of the socket box and they are in the open, and the new location of the socket will be much closer to where the cables are coming out so all wiring will be hidden by the boxing.

Sponsored Links
In theory, you could.

There is a zone 150mm from internal and external corners in which you can run cables even if an accessory box is not in line with them.

As far as the gas pipe is concerned, the cable would need to be 25mm away from it.

There is a zone 150mm from internal and external corners in which you can run cables even if an accessory box is not in line with them.
True - but as I understand it, that is not an issue for the OP, since it sounds as if the cables will be coming up from below the floor in the safe zone created by the socket.

Kind Regards, John

These posts are often written for future visitors to this thread.

These posts are often written for future visitors to this thread.
True, but I thinkl that makes it even more important that the posts are clear about their contexts, doesn't it? What I mean is that, in the absence of any qualification (**), a 'future visitor' might get confused into thinking that a comment in this thread related to the situation described by the OP of thisthread.

** That 'qualification' is easy enough to implement - it merely requires that one prefaces such comments with something like "It does not apply in your situation but, more generally .....". If you look, I think you'll find that I quite often write things like that (it is, in fact, one of the ways in which threads can 'drift' - from an OP's specific question/situation to matters much more general :) ).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back