Moving gas cooker point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new integrated oven fitted and would like to move the bayonet gas cooker point in my kitchen. It was replaced due to the stat failing on the old unit, it was far past its best anyway. The new oven is considerably smaller than the previous model, so I've decided I'd like to move the tumble dryer out of the garage and alter the kitchen units so I can fit it in underneath the oven.

Unfortunately the bayonet gas connection point is underneath the oven and it would prevent me from pushing the tumble dryer back against the wall. I'm confident in my plumbing abilities, and this job is going to involve moving some water pipes that also run underneath the units housing the cooker anyway. Am I legally allowed to move the connection point, or must this work be done by a CORGI registered installer?

Sponsored Links
technically you can do what you like in your own home, but would be ill advised to touch the gas point. Do you know how to move it safely, do you know how to test it afterwards? The last thing you want is a gas leak behind and electrical appliance switching on and off :eek:

Get a corgi in and don't be so tight.

gas4you said:
technically you can do what you like in your own home, but would be ill advised to touch the gas point. Do you know how to move it safely, do you know how to test it afterwards? The last thing you want is a gas leak behind and electrical appliance switching on and off :eek:

Get a corgi in and don't be so tight.

I can see your point, but I hardly think it's fair to call me 'tight' for not wanting to pay someone to do a job I could do myself.

If I were to do the job myself, I would of course ensure the gas was off at the mains and any residual gas had been purged from the pipes before starting work with a blowtorch. I would buy a replacement bayonet connection, cut and solder the new pipework as required, and then test for leaks using soapy water at all joints before fitting the back the kitchen units.

In my mind the above would be a safe method of working. If not, I know my limits and when I need a qualified person to do the work, and if you think that may be the case here then please say so.

Another thing to bear in mind is that if you do move the gas fitting yourself and, perish the thought, something should go wrong, you may well find that your insurance company will not pay out.

The fact that you do not know the correct procedure for soldering gas pipework concerns me considerably. You also do not use "soapy water" to check for leaks.

As the main gas cock by the meter has to be turned off to carry out the work, there are set procedures for testing & re-establishing the gas supply & the integrity of the gas pipework on completion.

Sponsored Links
I would definitely get a corgi to do the job, in fact any job including gas.

What other reason is there other than saving a bit of money for not getting a corgi in :?: :rolleyes:

I can see your point, but I hardly think it's fair to call me 'tight' for not wanting to pay someone to do a job I could do myself.
Not fair indeed, however for someone who 'knows how to DIY' your method statement needs some alteration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back