Moving Gas Earth-Bonding Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners had a rewire done last year and the electrician has installed a new earth bonding cable from the consumer unit to the gas meter in the room below.
However, they've put it in some ugly plastic trunking across the roof which the owners then roughly threw paint at. We're completely redecorating the room so would like to run the cable in the wall instead.

I've done some searching and can't find too much about moving them - I'm wondering:
  • Can the cable be extended, or does it have to be one unbroken cable into the consumer unit (which would be notifiable?)
  • Does the cable need to run through the zones set out for mains cables?
Any thoughts appreciated, TIA!

Sponsored Links
Incidentally, you are actually allowed to use other parts (except gas pipes) as the bonding conductor, so -

you could have a conductor from the gas point of entry to - for example - a water pipe and then another conductor from a connected water pipe to the main earthing terminal. This may mean the conductor does not have to run where it is unsightly.

You have said the bonding conductor runs to the consumer unit. Is that where the main earthing terminal is or is there a terminal block near the incoming electrical supply?
To where does the earthing conductor run from the incoming supply point? Does it go to the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
You have said the bonding conductor runs to the consumer unit. Is that where the main earthing terminal is or is there a terminal block near the incoming electrical supply?
To where does the earthing conductor run from the incoming supply point? Does it go to the consumer unit?

Thanks, couple of pics attached. It's the cable to the left of the 2nd picture and goes under (but not into) the black block and straight into the CU. Worth me opening to take a look at what it's connected to?

1709668655056.jpeg

1709668662182.jpeg

I’m slightly confused. I was always told it has to be one continuous loop. I guess I was misinformed. Is it in BS7671 and or on site guide?

It's one of those old rumours that never goes away.

Like the one about bonding kitchen sinks.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I’m slightly confused. I was always told it has to be one continuous loop. I guess I was misinformed. Is it in BS7671 and or on site guide?
The fact that other metal parts are allowed to be used as a bonding conductor obviously means that it won't be continuous - therefore...

• Thanks

That originated at the NICEIC as “best practice”

And as the NICEIC don’t write the regs (and neither do NAPIT) their guidance is often not worth listening to

• Thanks
Seconded, my tutor went on to say any joins had to be permanent such as soldered or brazed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back