Moving kitchen wall cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry this might be a bit of a silly question. We are fitting a kitchen and had planned for the wall cabinets to line up with the bottom of the cooker hood. Stupidly forgot to account for the cornice on the bottom when fitting, so I'd like to move them up 20mm.

Question is as it's such a small amount to move them is the 20mm between holes likely to be strong enough to take the weight or am I worrying about nothing? The new screw holes have to be directly above as the cabinets line up with the ones below. Wall is comprised of lightweight breeze blocks (ones which are good for thermal insulation) and dot and dab plasterboard which is quite tight to the wall. Cabinets are midi height 600mm ones.

Thanks for your help in advance

Sponsored Links
I think you will struggle not to break into the existing hole. What size are your fixings?
What does it look like with the cornice on the bottom now?

use Cabinet Hanging Rail.

You can then put in plenty of screws at any convenient positions.

s-l500.jpg

Available in 1 metre, 2 metre and other lengths.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It does look like a bit of a cock up, even my other half who originally wanted to leave them now wants to move them.

The fittings are about 8mm wide plugs.

this is the type of cabinet hanger most often used for kitchen wall cabinets. They allow for a little adjustment up and down, in and out.

ae235

http://www.screwfix.com/p/nylon-cabinet-brackets-with-mounting-plate-10-pack/91611

the mounting plate or rail is screwed to the wall, the hanger is screwed to the cabinet and hook onto the rail.

The rail enables you to unhook the cabinets, and change their position or replace with new, at whim.

Thanks I'll take a look at the strip of cabinet rail, my cabinets already have something similar to the standard fixing that you posted up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back