Moving kitchen wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning chaps.
Have recently taken posession of a 20s/30s property which has been extended a few years back by the previous (part time builder!) owner.

The boiler was condemned a few weeks back and we've now got a nice new replacement which has also been moved out of the kitchen and into the WC next door.

Rather than move the programmer and fused switch unit though, the plumber left that in the kitchen. We now want to use that space to site the fridge so the programmer, fused switch and single spur socket needs moving.

Plan was to chase the wiring back up the wall to approx 6" from the ceiling, drill a hole through the breezeblock wall and run it down the other side where the 3 items can be surface mounted out of harms way.

Opening up the ceiling to add a new extension isn't really an option as it is a flat roof (part of extension) and so all sealed up.

Having read through 12 pages of forum discussions and the Part P document last night, I'm now thinking that 'officially' because this is in a kitchen, it should be a job for a sparky. Is this right? Just because it is in the kitchen??

Pic attached....... thanks for any input.
programmer.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd get an electrician to do this. Part P, and programmers can be confusing to wire up. Also consider that there appears not to be a socket for the fridge that is currently there (plugged in above the counter) and you may wish to leave that socket in the vicinity if you're having a fridge freezer.

EDIT: are you sure this programmer still works? I can see a wire going from the FCU to a hole in the corner (to the boiler?). Does the new boiler have its own programmer?

crafty1289 said:
Also consider that there appears not to be a socket for the fridge that is currently there (plugged in above the counter) and you may wish to leave that socket in the vicinity if you're having a fridge freezer.?

There is a socket under the counter and will be using that once the fridge is put in place. That freezer was only put there temporarily. As a result, that socket by the programmer can go.

As a side note - are there any regs for siting a spur socket under a sink?

crafty1289 said:
EDIT: are you sure this programmer still works? I can see a wire going from the FCU to a hole in the corner (to the boiler?).

Yes, the programmer is new. It is fitted over the baseplate of the old programmer and makes use of the existing wiring. The only thing that was missing from the new installation was a permanant mains feed - hence the wire you can see coming from the FCU.

crafty1289 said:
I'd get an electrician to do this. Part P, and programmers can be confusing to wire up.?

Yes, I was discussing this with the plumber. Admittedly there are a few wires in there and duplicated use of colours - but nothing a good set of notes couldn't plan around. Part P........

From the look of the pics you are going to have to extend the cables at some point so why not drill through the wall behind the existing programmer & fit a junction box in it's place. You will need to provide metal capping to the existing cable drops if it is not already there

Sponsored Links
jj4091 said:
From the look of the pics you are going to have to extend the cables at some point so why not drill through the wall behind the existing programmer & fit a junction box in it's place. You will need to provide metal capping to the existing cable drops if it is not already there

Not a bad suggestion that - I'd just rather not have a junction box there as a lader fridge is going right up against it.

........ but I'll look into it. I've no idea yet as to whether the previous guys used capping. Somehow I doubt it.

Can you get fully flushed junction boxes?

you could just sink a back box into the wall & cover it with a blanking plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back