Moving large ferns and other plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to move 4x large ferns and some other plants such as pamaps grass, bux tree, and large unknown connifer type plant in the back garden to the front garden.
Wondering if it would be ok to move them during May - June time. Or would it be better to move them in some other months of the year.
Also would it be better to remove the new fronds during and after the moving the plants, or better to leave as they are? The new fronds are coming out these days with the warm weather continuing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To be honest, this is possibly pretty much the worst time of year to move them - generally better to move plants when they're dormant, so October onwards.

Trees are tricky to move successfully if they're more than a few years old - you need to dig a big hole to get as much of the root as possible.

You might loose the fronds on the fern plant but it will survive and come again next year if not this one. But having just dug up a medium size one myself I can tell you that it will be a hell of a job.I would think the Pampas grass will be the same as that is also tough as old boots but cannot advise on the other 2.

I would have said late Oct/Nov a good as the ferns stop budding and becomes dormant for the winter. I moved a Canaries palm some years about now and lost it drying out in Spring/Summer months being dry and hot in the sun.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, maybe better wait till Oct / Nov for moving them. I can imagine it will be difficult job digging them out the soil with their wide and deep roots.

Dont know about the Grasses, but I think the tree ferns are shallow fibrous rooted by about 6” beneath the trunk . So take care when digging as they are not cheap to replace

If you want to limit the growth of ferns then you might consider splitting a large plant then potting it out in situ where you want the new plant to grow. As long as you keep it moist there's no problem...the trick is making sure it won't dry out in the heat of summer. What type of fern is it?

If you want to limit the growth of ferns then you might consider splitting a large plant then potting it out in situ where you want the new plant to grow. As long as you keep it moist there's no problem...the trick is making sure it won't dry out in the heat of summer. What type of fern is it?

Yeah I was thinking of spliting the ferns into 4x per each, as they are quite large. They are not tree ferns. They are just shrub like Ferns with no tree stems. They might be actually brackens. They were bought from B&Q for a fiver for the whole lot of 4 about 10 year ago when they were in tiny plastic pots.
Now they reach up to over 1m height and about 50cm in diameter.

Yeah I was thinking of spliting the ferns into 4x per each, as they are quite large. They are not tree ferns. They are just shrub like Ferns with no tree stems. They might be actually brackens. They were bought from B&Q for a fiver for the whole lot of 4 about 10 year ago when they were in tiny plastic pots.
Now they reach up to over 1m height and about 50cm in diameter.
Ferns are easy enough to propagate and spread like mad given the chance. The ferns in our garden simply drifted in or, more likely, were brought in under the pigeon's sticky feets, to grow willy-nilly wherever they chose. Some are kept, many are not. If its an urgent project then try potting one or two up but if you can wait til Autumn then it'll make it easier, as stated earlier in the thread.

Prune the roots before moving them [6 months before, according to this]:

I suggest doing some research on each species of tree you want to move. And budget for some replacements, if you really like them, because there is no guarantee of success.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back