Moving my bathroom (Soil Pipe Issue)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, I want to move my bathroom from the front of the house to the back and the soil pipe runs down the wall where the toilet taps into it (A). Can i extend the pipe (B) as per my image below or do I have to actually move the soil pipe.

View media item 8856
Regards

Sponsored Links
Distances?

Also, you need to notify planning/building control since you are having a new installation.

Also, you need to notify planning/building control since you are having a new installation

Have a day off Swids me old mucker. :rolleyes: :D

2 bits of good news............

You don't need to inform BCO and you can extend your soil pipe to 6 metres but do fit a rodding point just in case. :D

Sponsored Links
I would not involve BCO if there was no modification to underground drainage.

A good plumber will make sure the installation is satisfactory. :D

I would not involve BCO if there was no modification to underground drainage.

A good plumber will make sure the installation is satisfactory. :D

and "ensure that the room will have adequate ventilation ...., and meet requirements in respect of structural stability, electrical and fire safety"

ffs swidders, if you do everything that some shiny arsed cnt in a suit somewhere says you should, you'll spend most of your life filling forms in, and paying for the privilege.
What building control don't know won't hurt them., and any good plumber would meet 'your' stated requirements anyway, it's called taking a pride in you're work. :rolleyes:

True, but the op should be informed of the legal requirements of the situation. He can choose to ignore them if he wishes, but ignorance is no defence.

Out of interest, would a plumber do the necessary calculations to ensure the floor joists were sufficiently strong to take the weight of a bath? This is beyond "taking pride".

What BCO don't know won't hurt them as you say, but it may hurt the op if there's a subsequent structural fault, or if a potential purchaser asks questions.

Out of interest, would a plumber do the necessary calculations to ensure the floor joists were sufficiently strong to take the weight of a bath? This is beyond "taking pride".

More to the point, would building control? or would they just come out have a look and say, yeah that'll be alright. Like anyone sensible would.
Stop clutching at straws. :LOL:

Not clutching at straws - just asking a question.

The only thing the op has told us is that he wants to move his bathroom to the back of the house. Do you know the structural layout? Nope, nor do I.

I do know, however that if I moved my bathroom to the front of my own house then the design of it would be problematic due to the weight of an intended bath, since the joists are supported on a cross member with an extended span (approx 20 foot)onto supporting walls. This may well lead to flexing, cracking etc. I, probably like you, wouldn't know where to start to specify what reinforcements would be optimum, nor whether it would be financially feasible.

How competent do you think the op is? Neither you nor I have no idea other than he has indicated a lack of drainage knowledge, which seems to imply other shortcomings.

You may be happy to recommend that he does what he likes regardless of any pitfalls and consequences, and potentially put his house at risk. You may be willing to shove a bathroom anywhere without any consideration of any structural problems.

I'm not. :eek:

You may be happy to recommend that he does what he likes regardless of any pitfalls and consequences, and potentially put his house at risk. You may be willing to shove a bathroom anywhere without any consideration of any structural problems.

I'd recommend that he gets a good plumber in. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If the OP wants to be relieved of a few hundred £s to give to BCO that is his choice. IMHO I would not involve them. :D

Swidlers is totally correct; this is notifyable work regardless of weather or not the soil stack is moved, it must (should) comply with all relevant BR’s (& there are several to be considered), LABC will almost certainly want to inspect the work & it will need a compliance certificate; the lack of which could create future & potentially expensive problems.

Any OP should be made aware of Building Regulations requirements & given the CORRECT advice; of course they can choose to totally ignore it but that’s entirely their prerogative but for the sake of the small cost involved, IMO, it's not worth the hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back