Moving neighbour's sewer and manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first of all, apologies of this is the wrong forum to post this question.
I’m hoping somebody might be able to give some advice. My neighbours have recently had an extension approved. This is essentially a two storey side and rear extension. The side extension will come right up to the boundary. This morning, my neighbour came to ask if it would be possible to move a manhole from their driveway to within our property boundary next to our house. As their proposed extension would cover this manhole. I told him I would seek legal and construction advice, consider it and get back to him. I’m not particularly keen on the idea for a number of reasons, mainly that should we or a future owner of our property want to extend up the boundary too, that option will not be available because of the new location of the man hole. I also don’t understand why this was not part of the planning application and not considered by his architect prior to submission. Is there anything else I’m missing and am I being unreasonable!?

Any advice, comments or observations are greatly appreciated. I have attached photo showing the proposed new location of the man hole and the boundary line in green.
hFr6hb4

see link below:

https://ibb.co/hFr6hb4

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't either, we have the shared sewer manhole and it's definitely a problem when it comes round to having an extension built.

Your neighbours have the option to reduce the width of the extension and keep the manhole outside.

Blup

Any advice, comments or observations are greatly appreciated. I have attached photo showing the proposed new location of the man hole and the boundary line in green.
hFr6hb4

see link below:

All you need say, is that you also had it in mind to build a similar extension, for several years. There should be no ill feeling then.

If its been approved and since the existing MH serves more than one property then the Water Company must have been consulted and something agreed to what needs to be done to build over the existing sewer, what was agreed. Doesn't really matter because your answer must be no.

Is there somewhere outside both properties that it can be placed?

Also, how much are they offering to pay you for this inconvenience? ;)

Big fat NO. Suggest to them that if they want to move the manhole North within their property line (up the picture anyway) you will (for a significant fee) allow them access to your property to reroute your soil pipe #3. Otherwise they can f*** off and die :).
EDIT They took on the burden of having those shared manholes on their property when they bought it. They should not expect to be able to discharge that burden without some cost

The side extension will come right up to the boundary
You need to ask if they have allowed for verge overhang (or soffit/gutter etc if hipped roof) and under no circumstances should any visible part of their extension trespass over you boundary. Make it clear that any vents or flues do not cause a statutory nuisance, should they wish to use that elevation for a boiler flue or utility/kitchen vent for example.

Have you got the same drain layout on your property i.e. on your wide side?

Big fat NO. Suggest to them that if they want to move the manhole North within their property line (up the picture anyway) you will (for a significant fee) allow them access to your property to reroute your soil pipe #3. Otherwise they can f*** off and die :).
EDIT They took on the burden of having those shared manholes on their property when they bought it. They should not expect to be able to discharge that burden without some cost

Very true. To be honest, even for a significant fee, I wouldn’t grant them access to our property. Their extension plans are ridiculous- almost doubling the size of their house on a plot which isn’t really big enough. They’re going to be left with a tiny garden. We’d already decided that we wouldn’t grant them access to our property for the building of the extension (scaffolding etc) since, as far as I’m aware, once granted this sets a precedent and can’t be refused in future, thus potentially devaluing our property.

You need to ask if they have allowed for verge overhang (or soffit/gutter etc if hipped roof) and under no circumstances should any visible part of their extension trespass over you boundary. Make it clear that any vents or flues do not cause a statutory nuisance, should they wish to use that elevation for a boiler flue or utility/kitchen vent for example.

Have you got the same drain layout on your property i.e. on your wide side?

as far as I know, on our wide side, we have one manhole which serves only house. We’re relatively quite far from the next house and there is a garage in between us and the next property. We did check the plans and object when they had been submitted. It seems as if their planned extension will be just shy of the boundary when guttering etc is taken into account. My understanding is that boundaries extend up into the air had planned on watching the construction carefully to check there wasn’t any overhang. However, based on replies so far, I think they’re going to have to go back to the drawing board anyway.

Can't be that similar, one will be 3.8 wide and one will be 1.2m wide :)
How likely is it somebody would build a 1.2m extension, it seems unlikely really.

mind you I suppose it’s wide enough for a side porch or even a small utility room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back