Moving NTE5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to move my NTE5 from one side of the room it currently enters to the other. I'm aware this "should" be done by BT but I don't wish to pay nearly £200 when I could do an equally professional and probably neater job myself.

The line is fed from a drop wire which runs vertically from gutter height and enters the lounge through the side of the window frame. There is enough slack on this cable to run it into a junction box about 18 inches from ground level, from which I propose to run a cable horizontally round the bay window (probably around 4m in cable length) and into a flush mounted socket the other side of the window.

So my questions:

1) What cable should I use for the horizontal run? I've read conflicting messages as to whether black CW1308 is appropriate for outdoor use, or should I use dropwire cable?

2) What junction box would be more appropriate? BT66B looks the way to go but the BT16A might look neater.

3) I imagine I would clip the cable roughly every 200-250mm (basically one clip per old imperial brick length). Is this sufficient to prevent the cable sagging between and is either of the above two cables less liable to sagging?

Sponsored Links
The BT66B is the one that will make it look more like an OpenReach install. Use dropwire and be sure to get the correct size of jelly crimps.

Thanks Bernard. You clearly get that I was aiming for something looking like a genuine install!

I've done the job this morning - I got the BT66B and some genuine No 10 dropwire cable, and also picked up one of the new NTEs. Very happy and no longer have all my network equipment next to the front door!

Would Openreach normally connect all the cables or just the used pair(s)? I've jointed the used pair (orange + white) with jelly crimps but left the other pair (green + black) disconnected as I wasn't sure what was normal.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back