Replacing external BT/openreach cable to NTE5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My external BT wiring is a bit old and tatty, many of the clips holding it to the wall have broken and I just don't trust it isn't causing problems with my ADSL so I'd like to change it. I also had an external door changed last year and the fitters left a length of the phone cable unclipped and just hanging beneath it.

The cable run is probably about 10 meters from a Post Office labelled box like this: http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/BT66B.jpg along the outside wall and into an NTE5 by a window.

I know this isn't my cable but as I understand it if I call out Openreach I will probably get charged £100 especially as the cable is hanging off the wall since the door was fitted. The obvious thing is DIY as it all looks fairly simple to run a new cable from the junction box outside into the NTE5.

My questions is (I am getting to it!) what is the official type of cable called and where can I buy it? I know strictly speaking this is not my cable but I intend to replace it exactly as Openreach would. It looks like a simple job connecting up two wires each end but am I missing anything?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The cable that tends to get used now is called cable downlead. It's similar to dropwire without the suspension strands but also has a coloured outer sheath as well as the tough internal sheath. However, in the past ALL sorts of cable has been used incuding internal cabling. If you can get hold of some BLACK ( not white as it will deteriorate with UV ) internal cabling, it will be fine.
If the bt66 is an old one still with terminals inside, you may still be able to use these to connect the new cable. If there are no termionals iside you will find the wires have been joined with 8a crimps or dropwire connectors ( a type of external scotchlock ). These may be harder to find and are prolyl only available in packs of 500 or more. Prolly better to see if you can find a friendly jointer and scrounge a few off him.
You should be able to close them down on the conductors with a decent pair of pliers.

I have some official cable , where in cheshire are you ???? the cable you suggested isnt really external cable and will go brittle and the insulation will crack.

Sponsored Links
I have some official cable , where in cheshire are you ???? the cable you suggested isnt really external cable and will go brittle and the insulation will crack.

Hi Tomy, I'm in Chester. Where are you based?

The cable upto the NTE is the responsibility of the provider, you are not suppose to touch it & if you voiced concerns that is had become loose i'm sure BT/Openreach would replace it FOC. Certainly when ours got damaged(crackle on line from broken conductor) from having double glazing fitted BT came out and replaced it FOC.

If there is no fault condition on it openreach certainly wont replace it free of charge and if you had damaged it by having a door or window fitted then we would certainly charge for that as well . Reasonable wear and tear is free but only if your line is actually dead or noisy . I am in crewe I could post you some if you like .

I am in crewe I could post you some if you like .

Thanks Tomy, that'd be great. Can you email me: rob at iling dot me dot uk and I'll send you a cheque/paypal or something? I not completely sure about the length I need yet so I will measure it tomorrow.

Cheers

Rob

I have sent you an email hopefully!!!! if you havent recieved it let me know on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back