Flush NTE5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My customer currently has the BT cable coming up out of the ground near his front room window. It runs up over the window and over to the window next to the front door where it runs in to one of the old oval boxes. From there it branches off in two directions (down to the window sill near the front door and back to the front room . Both terminate in the old small square boxes (with the capacitors inside).

The internal run that goes to the front room exits the internal wall lower than the new skirting (to be fitted) so I told him that I would snip the external cable and run it through the wall and to in the front room where the BT MODEM is.

The plan is to fit an NTE5 box so that BT don't throw a wobbly if they ever turn up. Thinking about it, he would probably prefer the box to not be quite so deep. I am going to suggest that I recess a 35mm deep metal back box. From what I have read BT don't seem like recessed boxes. Is there a valid reason for that? And if they discovered one would they really throw a hissy fit?

As a short term measure, I noticed that there was an external cable running from the exterior box that runs in through the frame of the front window. I snipped the cables running to the front door and used some gel crimps to "activate" the section running in through the front room window and wired up one of the old small master boxes.

I did look at the newer NTE5c boxes but there have been a number of complaints about the lower face plates and plastic lugs. At the moment, after my re-routing, and using the old small square box, the MODEM is still showing 79mb up and 19mb down. Would there be anything to gain from using a 5c? If not I will order the older style box.

Thanks in advance.

And... yes, I am aware that I should not "interfere" or tamper with OpenReach's network. Today cost my customer 15 minutes of my labour and didn't require a two week booking window.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I have a flush NTE5 box and vDSL faceplate.
This is daisychained to a small BT master socket that must have had a 'manufacturing defect' - somehow the cap got snipped! :rolleyes::LOL:

From what I have read BT don't seem like recessed boxes.

This snapshot is taken from their Developers/Builders guide...

upload_2021-12-31_13-1-0.png

They literally recommend a steel recessed box. Sometimes you may have to bend the 'unwanted' top and bottom lugs out the way, it depends on the master in question.

Sponsored Links
Would there be anything to gain from using a 5c? If not I will order the older style box.
Nothing to gain.
The 5C only works if the box is 100% perfectly level and square, if it's even slightly off, the lugs don't fit properly and the front falls off. It's an exercise in making something as cheaply as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back