Moving router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Require some advice please.
House is all gutted and understairs i want to make a hub centre point for cctv dvr alarm panel and broadband router.

I am doing the first fix throwing all the cables in.

My question is i want to move the braoadband router from to outer wall to understairs hub what cable do i need to put in??
At the moment there just is a telephone cable coming into the house from the rear outer room

Sponsored Links
Are on Virgin cable broadband or BT? Do you have any pictures of what the current cabling is?

You may have already thought about this but I would also just consider WiFi signal strength from under the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Thanx rsgaz

How many cores 6 or 8??
Cn i use ca6 instead??

What if it was virgin im assumin same again cw1308 and rg6 or rg59 or similiar

What if it was virgin im assumin same again cw1308 and rg6 or rg59 or similiar
Then your router would need coax, possibly RG6 or RG59 as you mention. Depending on distance you may need to change the attenuator if there is one.

Now why the move exactly. If you don't have good coverage at the other end of the house, then the easist course is to get a signal repeater, and plug thatsomewhere in the middle of the house. Or you could for an access point, or use a powerline adaptor instead.

The reason for the move i was goimg to hard wire ethernet cable in every room (future proof) fir sky boxes etc etc

If it's a BT line you've got, then have a chat with one of the Open Reach vans, and see if they can help. They have the kit to route the existing incoming point to the new hub centre location, and it'll give you a dedicated broadband connection as well. If you've creating a wiring hub using ethernet cable, then consider putting 2 points in each room to give you flexibility in the future.

I'm not sure how a Virgin installation would be handled in the future, as they bring the conector box in to the room, and then I think you have the phone, the router, and the broadband at one location, so it might mean that you get it installed in the hub location, and then have to route the TV conection to where the TV is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back