Powermaster 10 - Issue connecting to internet (Ethernet)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was working fine with my Virgin media hub via Ethernet

I bought a router and turned my Virgin Media hub modem only, everything is perfect except the alarm

For some reason the Powermaster wont connect to the router.

Most devices just connect but im getting the impression i have to assign a static IP in the panel settings.

Thats fine, but it wont save. I enter an IP, i enter the Default GW and the Subnet, 'Okay' everything, then if i go back into Manual IP, its 000.000.000.000 again.

I did a diagnostic and it was something along the lines of not connecting, so my ethernet cable is fine, in fact i plugged it into my virgin media hub and it started flashing meaning it is active (i tried a cable connected to nothing and it doesnt light up). (it wont work with the Virgin Media Hub as the hub will only communicate with 1 device which is the router)

Do you guys have any ideas, i just cant figure why the IP etc wont save and stay saved. i wish it would just allow my router to assign an IP like normal devices..

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
when the virgin router is switched to modem only mode, your new router may have a different gateway and dchp settings.

power cycle the panel and give it a few minutes to allocate an ip.

If it doesn’t work, then need to know a little bit more on your router settings to advise and the version/age of the power master you have

Please note I don’t fit Visonic Alarms day to day so would have to check the manual along side your router settings

when the virgin router is switched to modem only mode, your new router may have a different gateway and dchp settings.

If it doesn’t work, then need to know a little bit more on your router settings to advise and the version/age of the power master you have

Please note I don’t fit Visonic Alarms day to day so would have to check the manual along side your router settings
Thank you, settings definitely changed as i had to redo cctv settings but alarm just isnt reaching the router, i will try a power cycle and ill update you.

Thinking back, i had to turn the cctv off and on so a reset may fix it

Its a PowerMaster-10 G2

Thanks

Sponsored Links
turned my Virgin Media hub modem only,
Silly question from me, but wanted to check...
Have you tried connecting the alarm ethernet cable into the Virgin media hub?

Asking as its ethernet sockets will still work even when in modem mode. And my feeling is that your modem is defining ethernet addresses and your router is also defining ethernet addresses.

You normally switch off DHCP in all the boxes except the first box, Did you should Disable DHCP on the secondary router?

Also, what IP address did you give the alarm? For printers i would normally use something like
or
Sfk

Last edited:

Asking as its ethernet sockets will still work even when in modem mode. And my feeling is that your modem is defining ethernet addresses and your router is also defining ethernet addresses.

You normally switch off DHCP in all the boxes except the first box, Did you should Disable DHCP on the secondary router?

Also, what IP address did you give the alarm? For printers i would normally use something like
or
Sfk

Hi sorry for delay,

I have tried, it doesnt work, the virgin box only connects to one device which is the router.
Ive not given the alarm an ip because it wont store it, i save, then go back in and its gone.
I think the box needs a reset then it will puck up the new router and sort itself out
But i dont know electrics so im not confident with that sort of thing as ill have to disconnect the AC.
Also, when reset, will it forget the sensors/alarm box etc that are connected to it?

I had a look into it and i think power cycling it is way out my skill range as i have to disconnect stuff in the box!

IS there an easy way to do it or is it best getting someone to do it? Also will resetting it cause it to forget the sensors/alarm box etc?

No. In modem mode there is no router function, so only one ethernet socket will be active.

Okay, so how about putting the virgin media hub into normal mode but disable its WiFi.

On the subsequently connected router turn off DHCP.

Then try connecting alarm to Virgin media hub as before.

if your struggling PM me and can look at a remote session to get to the bottom of it, it may require you to do some bits.

Okay, so how about putting the virgin media hub into normal mode but disable its WiFi.

On the subsequently connected router turn off DHCP.

Then try connecting alarm to Virgin media hub as before.

THANK YOU

You snapped me out of my stupor

I should have been able to figure it out but i didnt until you prompted me.

I did as you said, put Virgin media into router mode, Alarm connected to internet immediately. But now im getting 'Partition failed to change state' when i try to Arm the Alarm, unfortunately when trying to figure it out before coming here, i did try Broadband Module factory reset as per Google advice :(

so that may have something to do with it.,

Anyway my FOCD (Fake OCD) wasnt happy with the Virgin router being in router mode, its not neat if you know what i mean. So i had a think why it was refusing to connect to my router and concluded that my Alarm is set to an IP address that is out of the range of the IP pool on my new router.

So i changed my range and now it connects to my new router just like the Virgin Box.

But still that same Error!!!! I wish i didnt try the factory reset for the broadband module

But i feel like ive had a win tonight, much closer to the goal!

Reactions: SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back