Moving socket diagonally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm turning what was my kitchen into a playroom for the kids.

I want to move a socket from the usual height you'd find in kitchen down to above skirting level. If I follow the vertical path the socket will end up behind a new rad that's going in, so I need to move it horizontally as well.

Any nifty tricks for this? I don't really want a blanking plate in the middle of the wall. I was thinking a blanking plate with the top ever so slightly higher than the radiator but would love to hear a better way.

Sponsored Links
What type of wall, i.e. stud, solid etc?
Also, have you had the socket off to see which direction the cables are coming from?

I assume the blanking plate is to join the cables AND denote where the cables are going??

If so, I assume the cables come from above?

Can you get at the cables from above, join and extend, and run down the wall in-line with the new socket?

Remember concealed cables can be run horizontally along a wall within 150mm from the ceiling.

It's a masonry wall, cables coming from above and the blanking plate is just to show that there is a vertical cable run at that point.

Thanks, I had forgotten about the safe zone near the ceiling. I'll go with that unless anyone has another idea that involves less chasing.

Also, are the maintenance free junction boxes that screwfix sell the best bet? The ones were you just push the wires in.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what Screwfix sell, but Hager 32amp maintenance free junction boxes will do for you, assuming the jb will be above the ceiling void/under a suspended floor.

Thought you could bury a maintenance free junction box in a wall, no?
You can, but you'd need a low profile one or a very deep hole. It'd be the enclosure that would be the problem, the terminals themselves world fit. At least above the ceiling you'd have space.
Another option would be crimped connections but you need a proper crimper and heat shrink which would add to the cost. Opinions vary on whether they're suitable for direct burial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back