connections behind radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To make room for a new doorway, I need to move a phone socket and a power socket about 18 inches horizontally along a wall, then (later) a radiator too.

I'm intending to make the connections in the original (recessed) back boxes, then cover them with white plastic blanking plates. Cables will be run in plastic trunking.

The blanking plates with connections behind will eventually have the radiator in front of them. Clearance behind rad will be about 30mm to the wall, so about 25 mm to the blanking plates.

Am I right in thinking there will be no problem with the heat from the rad affecting the connections behind it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As behind a radiator is not really accesable, you need to give thought to the type of connection you will use, I'd personally use insulated crimps on the power socket, applied with a proper rachet crimp tool, and for the phone, solder and heatshrink

Sponsored Links
How would you get to the joints when it comes to any testing or fault tracing?

softlad1971 said:
How would you get to the joints when it comes to any testing or fault tracing?

Take the rad off, probably easier than lifting carpets and boards looking for JBs

Yep - and the joints would be in sunken boxes behind blanking plates, so they'd be easily accessible once the rad was off (i.e. not JBs buried in plaster).

I know this isn't a great solution - but in the small space I have, there's no-where else for the rad to go. Is there anything in the regs to say this can't / shouldn't be done?

Thanks

Whilst not strictly breaching the Regs, it is not following their spsirit either. If someone, an electrician, came ot undertake a PIR..do you really expect him/her to go taking radiators off the wall to undertae an inspection??

Why not simply move the Rad over slightly so they are not covered by it.

The current (single) rad would have to cover the connections to make room for the proposed new doorway (in a small hall, hence the limited space).

I have a look for a narrower double rad - might just clear the connections to leave them accessible (sockets would still need to be moved to make then useable).

Cheers

I would be concerned about the ambient temperature factor for the cable in surface trunking that close to a radiator...

IanJ said:
The current (single) rad would have to cover the connections to make room for the proposed new doorway (in a small hall, hence the limited space).

I have a look for a narrower double rad - might just clear the connections to leave them accessible (sockets would still need to be moved to make then useable).

Cheers

Do you realise you can get vertical radiators?

Such as This one

Vasco and Acova have dozens of different designs of vertical radiators, including some with a quarter-round plan that will fit into very little space in a corner.

Not as cheap as Screwfix of course...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back