Space behind illuminated bathroom mirror

Who said anything about opinion? My post is based on fitting a considerable amount supplied by numerous suppliers over many years
Whatever word you choose to use, what you wrote differs from the view expressed by others. Maybe they worked at a different coal face from you?
And if you think you should leave a cable in a back box, in a bathroom without a blank covering it, I really don’t think you should be doing this work
Presumably because you always want to 'think the worst'; (of me), you have not been paying attention.

Of course I would not leave a back box containing live parts in a bathroom without a blank plate (or something) covering it, and nor would I dio that in any other room (and seem surprised that you seem to imply that it might be acceptable in places other than a bathroom).

Assuming you can read, you will have seen that I was talking about a situation in which the box (without a ';cover' of its own, was 'covered by something (a mirror) that could not be removed without use of a tool. Two of your electrician colleagues have agreed with me that such would be acceptable, so do you also think that they should not be doing electrical work?

Sponsored Links
Is not the simple thing to bury a plastic conduit in the wall to the lowest likely point of the new mirror and after measuring the position very accurately plaster it over and decorate. Then if/when you decide to fit a device requiring power;chop into the unblemished wall and into the conduit at an appropriate height and pull a suitable cable, T&E or flex, into place.
I would not call that particularly 'simple'. Apart from anything else, one would need to get to the other end of the conduit, which could well involve disruption and quite possibly damage to 'unblemished' decor/flooring/whatever in other parts of the house.

I would not call that particularly 'simple'. Apart from anything else, one would need to get to the other end of the conduit, which could well involve disruption and quite possibly damage to 'unblemished' decor/flooring/whatever in other parts of the house.
Just suggestin'

Lay the cable into the tub such that is doesn't go past the top of the future mirror with an extension of a piece of single as a draw wire to the end of the tube and carefully laid in loop above.

When you need it break in, hook out draw wire and pull until you have enough cable.

Lay in tube all the way to where you intend to connect into

Skinned cats comes to mind.

Sponsored Links
Just suggestin'
I realise that, and I'm interested to hear, and am grateful for, all (constructive!) suggestions ('refuse to do it until you have the mirror[ doesn't count as 'constructive' in my book :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Lay the cable into the tub such that is doesn't go past the top of the future mirror with an extension of a piece of single as a draw wire to the end of the tube and carefully laid in loop above. .... When you need it break in, hook out draw wire and pull until you have enough cable. ... Lay in tube all the way to where you intend to connect into
As you say, it's a case of skinning cats - yes, what you suggest above is another possibility.

However, I am a great believer in 'KISS'. Before I even started this thread, I';d decided that what I was going to do was to run a cable to roughly the right place (terminated in some way), and then subsequently get a mirror which was consistent with 'that place' and/or do some appropriate 'modifications! I started this thread merely in an attempt to get a feel for how these things are ('variously') designed/made and hence hiw much of a choice I was likely to have of suitable units. The rest, as they say, 'is history' :)

Kind Regards,m John

I realise that, and I'm interested to hear, and am grateful for, all (constructive!) suggestions ('refuse to do it until you have the mirror[ doesn't count as 'constructive' in my book :) ).

Kind Regards, John
If you leave a cable sticking out at the top (where you want the top to be) centre, you can always move the gland in the mirror.

Of all the ones I've done its usually top middle or a few inches either way.

If you leave a cable sticking out at the top (where you want the top to be) centre, you can always move the gland in the mirror.
Thanks. That presumably depends upon the design of the mirror (and, of course, some people will start going on about 'invalidation of warranties'!) - but, yes, that is essentially what I'm going to do (but not just leaving live cables 'sticking out' :) )
Of all the ones I've done its usually top middle or a few inches either way.
Fair enough. Did most of those have a gap behind mirror (between mirror and wall) when fitted?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks. That presumably depends upon the design of the mirror (and, of course, some people will start going on about 'invalidation of warranties'!) - but, yes, that is essentially what I'm going to do (but not just leaving live cables 'sticking out' :) )

Fair enough. Did most of those have a gap behind mirror (between mirror and wall) when fitted?

Kind Regards, John
No a flat back.

Thanks. Does that mean that there was some means of connecting therm that could be done from the front (room side)?
I connected in a back box with wagos then just screwed the mirror up to it

I connected in a back box with wagos then just screwed the mirror up to it
I'm a bit confused ... if it was flat to the wall', with no space behind to accommodate even a little bit of slack in the cable how did you manage to connect it to the Wagos? (i presume you are not 'infinitely small', and therefore able to work in a non-existent gap :) )

I'm a bit confused ... if it was flat to the wall', with no space behind to accommodate even a little bit of slack in the cable how did you manage to connect it to the Wagos? (i presume you are not 'infinitely small', and therefore able to work in a non-existent gap :) )
I put in a deep back box and connected the flex as short as I could, then screwed it back.
It wasnt easy, the mrs helped lol.

I put in a deep back box and connected the flex as short as I could, then screwed it back.
It wasnt easy, the mrs helped lol.
Well done (and glad you had your Mrs to help) - but that is surely rather ridiculous design, isn't it?

Well done (and glad you had your Mrs to help) - but that is surely rather ridiculous design, isn't it?
It is yes, I suppose I could of removed the flex and pulled my cable in and connected it once screwed to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back