1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving socket up vertically and then (possibly) horizontally

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by RobieS, 2 Apr 2009.

1. RobieS

RobieS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    EDIT: Answer received. Mods - please remove this topic (as I can't delete it)

I need to move (& possibly add) a socket to a wall. The socket is currently mounted on a skirting board. Now, can just dig up a *vertical* channel above the skirting board and install a new socket there?

Also, if I want to move that socket *horizontally' say about 2 feet, could I dig a *horizontal* channel just above the skirting board and lay the new wiring upto the location of the new socket?

Thanks.

Robie

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ColJack

ColJack

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    no you haven't received an answer yet, not a complete one anyway..

you cannot go horizontal above or behind the skirting then vertical to move a socket two feet... this is not a safe zone as there will be no indication of the horizontal cable..

more specifically you CAN do it, but it MUST be in steel conduit or trunking

as wingcoax said.. run it under the floorboards to reach the desired position then up the wall..

alternatively,move the existing socket up to a worakable height, THEN horizontal to the new socket..
    extra sockets are always handy..

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is that a requirement of the NEC?

5. ColJack

ColJack

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    which part?

are you allowed to run outside the safe zones if it's rcd protected?
    are you allowed to run outside the safe zones if it's wired in metalic sheathed cable?

I was trying to make it simplified for the OP rather than just quote the regs book at him verbatim..

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don't know - I'm not familiar with the NEC, so I can't say. That was why I asked if it was a requirement of the NEC.

I don't know if the NEC defines the concept of "safe zones", or what should be done if cables aren't run in them, so I can't say. That was why I asked if it was a requirement of the NEC.

I don't know if the NEC defines the concept of "safe zones", or what should be done if cables aren't run in them, so I can't say. That was why I asked if it was a requirement of the NEC.

But surely you must be basing your advice on what the NEC requires?

7. ColJack

ColJack

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I never pay attention to peoples ridiculous locations... many people on here claim to be somewhere they are not.. and change locations every fed weeks or so...

he posted in the electrics UK so I gave advice based on UK electrics..

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links