Moving Soil pipe into vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am proposing to replace the toilet in my bungalow to a wall mount model. The existing toilet waste goes into the floor but is positioned too far into the bathroom space and is not at all suitable for connection to a wall mount toilet.
There is a soil vent pipe on the outside wall of the bathroom which reaches as high as the roof gutter and goes into the ground.
i'm assuming this soil vent pipe is connected to the soil pipe.
Can I cut a hole in the outside wall and connect the toilet soil pipe direct to this soil vent pipe ?
I would then block off the existing 'hole' left in the bathroom where the original soil pipe was.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Wall mounted toilets, need a frame to support the pan and hide the cistern.

Normally you box it out to fit the waste pipe. :idea:

Hello,
i'm assuming this soil vent pipe is connected to the soil pipe.
Thanks in advance.
best not to assume that ;) It might just go into the side of a nearby manhole above the drain channel and not an ideal connectio for soi. Have a look and lift some manhole covers. :idea:

Provided the pipe from the existing WC goes into the same external pipe then there shouldn't be a problem.

I can only assume that the existing WC is a low level type and the waste pipe extends very far into the room making it impractical to build a box out that far?

I guess you will find out if it 'tees in' when you cut the pipe ouside.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies so far.

Yes, the toilet was installed back in the 50's when the house was built and the waste pipe is straight into the floor about 500mm from each side of the already small bathroom. It is impractical to build a box out that far.
I've lifted up the manhole cover outside which is a short distance away from the vent stack and can only see one pipe leading into the gully.

As you say b'style, I will find out when I look down the cut the pipe and see where it goes; not looking forward to that, it could be hazardous - the pipe's made out of asbestos !

In which case, you need to cancel your ideas, what material is the pipe coming out of the floor?

the toilet is cemented into the floor, so i guess it must be a standard clay pipe out.

As you say b'style, I will find out when I look down the cut the pipe and see where it goes; not looking forward to that, it could be hazardous - the pipe's made out of asbestos !
If you're hoping to use this to drain your WC into, then it would need replacing with plastic to enable a suitalbe tee to be installed.

In which case, you need to get it removed and I'd seek advice before tackling it.

Before doing this, it will be worthwhile pouring water down into it from the top via a hose to check that it runs into the drain

I would be inclined to attack the work from the inside, via the clay pipe.

A pretty simple task actually, you just need a breaker.

I would be inclined to attack the work from the inside, via the clay pipe.

A pretty simple task actually, you just need a breaker.
True - apart from breaching the DPM and possibly shattering the clay pipe. And, oh, the mess :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's a matter of preference - mine would be to replace the asbestos pipe, but I'm like that :cool:

What do you do when you come across a low level pan in a cloakroom, and the customer wants Close coupled? I have done several of these, a morning work, never broken a single caly pipe.

What do you do when you come across a low level pan in a cloakroom, and the customer wants Close coupled? I have done several of these, a morning work, never broken a single caly pipe.
Depends on the job, if that's not a flippant answer. With regard to the op, he may not have the lightness of touch that you have with a kango in your hand ;) , and in any case, if you did break the clay pipe I suspect that you'd know what to do about it (after the usual expletives of course :LOL: :LOL: )

Very true, I sometimes forget this is a DIY forum, the level of knowledge on here seems to be second to none

Very true, I sometimes forget this is a DIY forum, the level of knowledge on here seems to be second to none
Indeed - I'm on here to help where I can, but am learning an awful lot from a lot of people. But, shhh, this may start to sound like brown-nosing :eek:

Assuming the outside vent pipe does lead to the same place as the soil pipe (using a hose to put water in from the top as a check) I will be removing the cemented in toilet completely and capping off the soil pipe in the floor in the bathroom. A hole would be cut in the wall for the new soil pipe which will align directly behind the vent pipe on the outside wall. The vent pipe would be cut approx 200mm from the ground level removing the top portion of the asbestos pipe, leaving the bottom part which is cemented in to the ground and replacing with plastic pipe using a tee to connect the 3 pipes.
Does this sound ok ?
Incidentally what is the best method to cap off the old soil pipe in the floor of the bathroom ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back