Moving Soil Vent - Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

I need to move the Soil Vent Pipe on the side of my property, so that it doesn't end inside the extension that I am building.

I am pretty sure that my detective work is correct, but I'd just like to run it passed you knowledgeable lot before I go smashing things up.

There is a vent pipe on the side of the house (cast iron) 75mm diameter approx, and at floor level it is concreted into a large diameter glazed clay pipe.

The clay pipe goes under ground, and after excavating for a bit I found that the original builders have concreted it in - It is only about 100mm below ground level.

After about 2m, it looks like there is a bend in the pipe towards the manhole on the patio, but I can't excavate any further without taking down a wall and lifting half of the patio.

The manhole is about 0.8m deep, and at the base there is one main channel with a second one feeding into it from the side and slightly higher up. There is also a pipe that enters the side wall at about half height, and I reckon that that is the end of the vent pipe from the outside.

Am I right in my thinking that the pipe half way up the side of the manhole is nothing more than a vent pipe for the sewer, and that I can pretty much reposition it wherever I need to?
If so, I will cut the clay pipe off just before the bend, then use a universal joint, a 90 bend and a straight length of pipe to reposition it next to the garage temporarliy, and then do it all proper and tidy once the extension is finished.

Sponsored Links
Sorry

I should have added, that when the toilet is flushed, the water goes along the channel at the bottom of the manhole, and when the sinks/dishwasher/bath/washing machine empty that water comes out of the channel that curves in from the side.

You`re spot on - and can move the vent ;) but it must terminate 900mm above a window if the window is within 4 meters ( as far as I remember) :oops: when the job`s finished

Sponsored Links
Phew, time to get the angle grinder out now.

Terminating the vent 900mm above the upstairs window will be a bit ugly. But I'll have a chat with the BCO and see if we can come up with an alternative solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back