Moving the electrical feed into the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to build a new garage and rear extension next year.

I was thinking it would be much tidier to have the consumer unit housed in the garage, than under the stairs. Currently our electric meter is on the side wall closed to the road (about 6m's down the drive).

My garage would be about another 10m's down the drive towards the back of the house. I am planning on renewing the old lead water feed into the house as well and will be doing a new drive, so digging up the drive is not an issue.

So baring all this in mind, any idea how much it costs to resite the electrical service coming into the home ? Is it very complicated ? I can do all the prep digging. The water is pretty easy and i think the cost is about £400. I just leave the street connection upto the contractor for the water company.

Sponsored Links
So baring all this in mind, any idea how much it costs to resite the electrical service coming into the home ?
It varies considerably - both between companies ("DNOs") and according to actual features of the job. You therefore need to ask them, but it would probably be best for you to be sitting down when you get their answer, just in case!

Kind Regards, John

Re moving the consumer unit. Probably the time to have a new one if the existing is even a few years old.
The electrics in the new buildings will need to comply with today's regulations, and that often means a CU replacement.

Also, when changing the location of your CU, don't forget that all of the house circuits go there, so circuits will need to be rerouted/extended etc.

Your chosen electrician will be the best judge of what is involved.

Sponsored Links
Not particularly - locate existing cable, install new length of cable from there to new service position, cut old cable and join to new one.

That will reduce the cost significantly.

Sounds easy, but i assume only the service companies can do this type of stuff. I suppose i will need to get some quotes.

I have a good sparky and rerouting the electrics is doable as i helped put them in 7 yrs ago when we did a rewire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back